Dec 16, 2011, 1:13 PM EDT
Minnesota replaced Michael Cuddyer by signing Josh Willingham yesterday and seemingly replaced Jason Kubel by signing Ryan Doumit last month, but apparently they haven’t given up on bringing Kubel back.
Kubel indicated earlier this week that he’d all but written off the possibility of re-signing with Minnesota, but Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that “the Twins increased their efforts to re-sign Kubel late this week.”
Kubel re-signing would leave the Twins with a surplus of first baseman, corner outfielders, and designated hitters, although with Justin Morneau and Joe Mauer both question marks health-wise that depth is hardly a bad thing. Doumit could be needed behind the plate if Mauer can’t play catcher regularly, but short of that happening he’d be stuck in a pretty limited role if Kubel returned.
Another option would be trading Denard Span or Ben Revere–or maybe just sending Revere to the bench or Triple-A–which would open up an outfield spot for Kubel while significantly hurting the Twins’ defense.
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 6
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 115
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 31
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (362)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)