Dec 17, 2011, 5:32 PM EST
The Padres just dealt a 24-year-old right-hander with a 27-29 record and a 108 ERA+ to the Reds for their No. 3, No. 4 and No. 10 prospects and a former 17-game winner in Edinson Volquez.
The A’s earlier this month dealt a soon-to-be 24-year-old right-hander with a 40-35 record and a 107 ERA+ to the Diamondbacks for their No. 4 prospect and a reliever who probably would have been listed in the 20-30 range.
I like Mat Latos better than Trevor Cahill, but the difference isn’t nearly that extreme. The right-hander the A’s got in return, Jarrod Parker, has more pure upside than any of the prospects the Padres got today, but he’s definitely a flame-out risk as well. I just don’t understand why the A’s had the desire to trade Cahill if that was the best offer on the board.
(Prospect rankings from Baseball America)
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)