Dec 17, 2011, 5:32 PM EDT
The Padres just dealt a 24-year-old right-hander with a 27-29 record and a 108 ERA+ to the Reds for their No. 3, No. 4 and No. 10 prospects and a former 17-game winner in Edinson Volquez.
The A’s earlier this month dealt a soon-to-be 24-year-old right-hander with a 40-35 record and a 107 ERA+ to the Diamondbacks for their No. 4 prospect and a reliever who probably would have been listed in the 20-30 range.
I like Mat Latos better than Trevor Cahill, but the difference isn’t nearly that extreme. The right-hander the A’s got in return, Jarrod Parker, has more pure upside than any of the prospects the Padres got today, but he’s definitely a flame-out risk as well. I just don’t understand why the A’s had the desire to trade Cahill if that was the best offer on the board.
(Prospect rankings from Baseball America)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 9
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 22
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 28
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)