Dec 17, 2011, 5:32 PM EST
The Padres just dealt a 24-year-old right-hander with a 27-29 record and a 108 ERA+ to the Reds for their No. 3, No. 4 and No. 10 prospects and a former 17-game winner in Edinson Volquez.
The A’s earlier this month dealt a soon-to-be 24-year-old right-hander with a 40-35 record and a 107 ERA+ to the Diamondbacks for their No. 4 prospect and a reliever who probably would have been listed in the 20-30 range.
I like Mat Latos better than Trevor Cahill, but the difference isn’t nearly that extreme. The right-hander the A’s got in return, Jarrod Parker, has more pure upside than any of the prospects the Padres got today, but he’s definitely a flame-out risk as well. I just don’t understand why the A’s had the desire to trade Cahill if that was the best offer on the board.
(Prospect rankings from Baseball America)
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 276
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (276)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)