Dec 17, 2011, 3:13 PM EST
The Marlins have repeatedly said that they have no intention to trade Hanley Ramirez following the addition of shortstop Jose Reyes, but it’s clear that he’s not yet on board with moving to third base.
Marlins president Larry Beinfest made some interesting comments to Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald yesterday, admitting that “it may take a little bit of time for him to get comfortable” with the idea of switching positions.
“The conversations we’ve had, we’re going to keep between us. But there’s been quite a bit of communication. He’s excited about playing for Ozzie Guillen. Ozzie is excited to have him. Everyone reacts to change differently.
“Even though we communicated with him and let him know what our intentions were in terms of Jose, he was the shortstop for six years, a very good one. We’ve asked him to move to third. Sometimes it just takes a little time for things to sink in. I think he recognizes we’re a better team with Jose.”
Another Marlins’ official told Jackson that they would like Ramirez to publicly endorse the signing of Reyes and a move to third base, but they haven’t pressured him to do so. The hope is that he’ll come around to the idea before spring training, but if the Marlins continue to face resistance, it stands to reason that they’ll explore the possibility of trading him.
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 69
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 23
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)