Dec 17, 2011, 11:19 PM EST
UPDATE, 11:19 PM: According to CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman, the one-year pact has been finalized.
7:23 PM: As first reported by Prospect Insider‘s Jason Churchill, the Mariners are nearing a one-year contract agreement with lefty George Sherrill. Word is the deal is worth $1.1 million plus incentives.
Sherrill, 34, registered a 3.00 ERA and 1.25 WHIP over 36 innings in 2011 for the Braves, holding left-handed batters to a .256/.275/.333 slash line.
The eight-year major league veteran pitched for the Mariners from 2004-2007. He has a 3.68 career ERA.
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 4
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 133
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 42
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 371
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (371)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (134)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (88)