Dec 17, 2011, 1:52 PM EDT
UPDATE: Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports confirms that it’s a three-year, $33 million deal with an $11 million vesting option for 2015.
1:52 PM: Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com hears that the two sides agreed to a three-year deal worth about $33 million with a vesting option for a fourth year.
1:39 PM: Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that the Phillies and Jimmy Rollins have agreed to a three-year contract with a vesting option for a fourth year. Exact terms aren’t yet available, but word from Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com is that the option is easily attainable.
Rollins was aiming for a five-year deal this winter, which seemed unrealistic in the first place, but he lost nearly all of his leverage after Alex Gonzalez signed with the Brewers and Rafael Furcal returned to the Cardinals. There were some rumors this earlier week that Rollins’ agent was talking to a mystery team, but most assumed he would return to Philadelphia.
Rollins, who turned 33 in November, batted .268/338/.399 with 16 homers, 63 RBI, 30 stolen bases and a .736 OPS over 631 plate appearances this past season. Assuming he stays healthy, he could have a chance to pass Hall of Famer Mike Schmidt as the team’s all-time leader in hits.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 0
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 7
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 31
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (204)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)