Dec 17, 2011, 1:52 PM EST
UPDATE: Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports confirms that it’s a three-year, $33 million deal with an $11 million vesting option for 2015.
1:52 PM: Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com hears that the two sides agreed to a three-year deal worth about $33 million with a vesting option for a fourth year.
1:39 PM: Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that the Phillies and Jimmy Rollins have agreed to a three-year contract with a vesting option for a fourth year. Exact terms aren’t yet available, but word from Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com is that the option is easily attainable.
Rollins was aiming for a five-year deal this winter, which seemed unrealistic in the first place, but he lost nearly all of his leverage after Alex Gonzalez signed with the Brewers and Rafael Furcal returned to the Cardinals. There were some rumors this earlier week that Rollins’ agent was talking to a mystery team, but most assumed he would return to Philadelphia.
Rollins, who turned 33 in November, batted .268/338/.399 with 16 homers, 63 RBI, 30 stolen bases and a .736 OPS over 631 plate appearances this past season. Assuming he stays healthy, he could have a chance to pass Hall of Famer Mike Schmidt as the team’s all-time leader in hits.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (167)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)