Dec 17, 2011, 1:52 PM EST
UPDATE: Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports confirms that it’s a three-year, $33 million deal with an $11 million vesting option for 2015.
1:52 PM: Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com hears that the two sides agreed to a three-year deal worth about $33 million with a vesting option for a fourth year.
1:39 PM: Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that the Phillies and Jimmy Rollins have agreed to a three-year contract with a vesting option for a fourth year. Exact terms aren’t yet available, but word from Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com is that the option is easily attainable.
Rollins was aiming for a five-year deal this winter, which seemed unrealistic in the first place, but he lost nearly all of his leverage after Alex Gonzalez signed with the Brewers and Rafael Furcal returned to the Cardinals. There were some rumors this earlier week that Rollins’ agent was talking to a mystery team, but most assumed he would return to Philadelphia.
Rollins, who turned 33 in November, batted .268/338/.399 with 16 homers, 63 RBI, 30 stolen bases and a .736 OPS over 631 plate appearances this past season. Assuming he stays healthy, he could have a chance to pass Hall of Famer Mike Schmidt as the team’s all-time leader in hits.
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 64
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 32
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)