Dec 17, 2011, 1:52 PM EDT
UPDATE: Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports confirms that it’s a three-year, $33 million deal with an $11 million vesting option for 2015.
1:52 PM: Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com hears that the two sides agreed to a three-year deal worth about $33 million with a vesting option for a fourth year.
1:39 PM: Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that the Phillies and Jimmy Rollins have agreed to a three-year contract with a vesting option for a fourth year. Exact terms aren’t yet available, but word from Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com is that the option is easily attainable.
Rollins was aiming for a five-year deal this winter, which seemed unrealistic in the first place, but he lost nearly all of his leverage after Alex Gonzalez signed with the Brewers and Rafael Furcal returned to the Cardinals. There were some rumors this earlier week that Rollins’ agent was talking to a mystery team, but most assumed he would return to Philadelphia.
Rollins, who turned 33 in November, batted .268/338/.399 with 16 homers, 63 RBI, 30 stolen bases and a .736 OPS over 631 plate appearances this past season. Assuming he stays healthy, he could have a chance to pass Hall of Famer Mike Schmidt as the team’s all-time leader in hits.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 57
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?