Dec 17, 2011, 1:52 PM EDT
UPDATE: Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports confirms that it’s a three-year, $33 million deal with an $11 million vesting option for 2015.
1:52 PM: Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com hears that the two sides agreed to a three-year deal worth about $33 million with a vesting option for a fourth year.
1:39 PM: Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that the Phillies and Jimmy Rollins have agreed to a three-year contract with a vesting option for a fourth year. Exact terms aren’t yet available, but word from Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com is that the option is easily attainable.
Rollins was aiming for a five-year deal this winter, which seemed unrealistic in the first place, but he lost nearly all of his leverage after Alex Gonzalez signed with the Brewers and Rafael Furcal returned to the Cardinals. There were some rumors this earlier week that Rollins’ agent was talking to a mystery team, but most assumed he would return to Philadelphia.
Rollins, who turned 33 in November, batted .268/338/.399 with 16 homers, 63 RBI, 30 stolen bases and a .736 OPS over 631 plate appearances this past season. Assuming he stays healthy, he could have a chance to pass Hall of Famer Mike Schmidt as the team’s all-time leader in hits.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (248)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)