Phillies re-sign Jimmy Rollins to three-year, $33 million deal with vesting option

Dec 17, 2011, 1:52 PM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies v St Louis Cardinals - Game 3 Getty Images

UPDATE: Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports confirms that it’s a three-year, $33 million deal with an $11 million vesting option for 2015.

1:52 PM: Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com hears that the two sides agreed to a three-year deal worth about $33 million with a vesting option for a fourth year.

1:39 PM: Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that the Phillies and Jimmy Rollins have agreed to a three-year contract with a vesting option for a fourth year. Exact terms aren’t yet available, but word from Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com is that the option is easily attainable.

Rollins was aiming for a five-year deal this winter, which seemed unrealistic in the first place, but he lost nearly all of his leverage after Alex Gonzalez signed with the Brewers and Rafael Furcal returned to the Cardinals. There were some rumors this earlier week that Rollins’ agent was talking to a mystery team, but most assumed he would return to Philadelphia.

Rollins, who turned 33 in November, batted .268/338/.399 with 16 homers, 63 RBI, 30 stolen bases and a .736 OPS over 631 plate appearances this past season. Assuming he stays healthy, he could have a chance to pass Hall of Famer Mike Schmidt as the team’s all-time leader in hits.

1. phillyphever - Dec 17, 2011 at 1:41 PM

WELCOME HOME JIMMY!!! And the jedi master Ruben does it again, getting Jimmy in the years he wanted him under.

2. randygnyc - Dec 17, 2011 at 1:45 PM

This won’t be a bad deal if the total money is under 35 million for the 3 years and the 4th yr option is the teams. Otherwise itsmbasically a 4 year deal. If this deal is 15 mil per year, the phils got phucked.

• mox19380 - Dec 17, 2011 at 2:01 PM

vesting option usually means that the 4th year will become guaranteed if he meets certain goals. I’d assume in this case the option for 4th year will be guaranteed based on the number of games he is able to play

• siftin thru nonsense - Dec 17, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Goals should be .280 batting avg and .355 OBA and some limit on the number of popups on first pitch of at bat.

3. drunkenhooliganism - Dec 17, 2011 at 1:46 PM

I understand the business reasons for allowing him to explore free agency and even a three year deal might be too long for him. But I’m really happy he’s staying.

4. evanwins - Dec 17, 2011 at 1:51 PM

PHINALLY!!!! He’s not the best in the world but he is ours. Besides, I think we are spoiled a bit. Jimmy is and always has been a top defender. For that alone I’m happy to have him back.

Besides, I personally believe he has a few very good hers left in him. And playing with his best friend every day isn’ t going to hurt either.

WELCOME HOME JIMMY. MAKE US PROUD.

5. HitsDingers - Dec 17, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Jimmy brings something special to the team; he’s one of the biggest reasons we were able to turn back to the winning ways. Replacing him with a replacement level SS like Galvis would have created a bigger hole than just the 6. #wearetheteamtobeat

• Gobias Industries - Dec 17, 2011 at 2:33 PM

#thatswhatyousaidthelasttwoyears

• JBerardi - Dec 17, 2011 at 5:17 PM

#hashtagsaredumb

6. areyesrn - Dec 17, 2011 at 1:58 PM

came up small in the last 2 playoffs…

• evanwins - Dec 17, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Are you really that big of a moron?

2011 playoffs .450 BA, .476 OBP, 1.126 OBPS. Isthat coming up small?

Why don’t you do some research before you start typing.

• tsi4431 - Dec 17, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Notice the previous poster said last 2 playoff years. If you want to play the one year game here you go.

Jimmy Rollins 2010 postseason stats
        .206 BA, .289 OBP, .524 OBP

Now you are the moron. Do some research on the 2010 playoffs.

• sarcasticks - Dec 17, 2011 at 7:35 PM

He may have a small BA, but he’s got HUGE balls

• cur68 - Dec 17, 2011 at 7:41 PM

0.328 BA, 0.383 OBP, 0.825 OPS if you average the 2 seasons together, which isn’t small. Lifetime, post season he’s actually pretty mediocre in some respects and decent in others: .250 BA, .314 OBP, 0.686 OPS. So everybody’s right. Is that too socialist for you guys or do we have to stick with the insults?

IMO: given the furor over Phat Al now an Angel, I think JRoll is worth the dough if only to keep the peace with management decisions.

• sarcasticks - Dec 17, 2011 at 7:47 PM

For the record I insulted no one. I was simply suggesting that J-Roll may have a smaller than average twig, but makes up for it with larger than average berries.

• cur68 - Dec 17, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Wasn’t intending that for you ‘sticks. I started working on my post before you posted. I like to look stuff up and it takes time to get it right. I categorically disavow any knowledge of JRoll’s wedding tackle, though, so I’ll trust your reports. :) (c’mon man, it would take a heart of stone to let that go!)

• evanwins - Dec 17, 2011 at 11:39 PM

tsi:
        I see, when he said last 2 years he didn’t mean last year at all. So coming up big in last year still means he came up small the last 2.

Yeah, I’m the moron.

7. leftywildcat - Dec 17, 2011 at 1:59 PM

TA DA! I’m very glad this happened.

Now we need a couple of back-up middle infielders who can hit.

And to re-sign Oswalt.

• phillyphever - Dec 17, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Oswalt’s not happening unless he’s really desperate. I see him in Washington.

8. uyf1950 - Dec 17, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Not a bad deal for either party. He made $8.5MM in 2011 it’s a very nice raise to AAV of $11MM per. It will be interesting to see what the vesting option is for and if it’s an easy one to reach or just a team option.

9. muckthefets23 - Dec 17, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Thank god!! Welcome back Jimmy!!

10. badmamainphilliesjamas - Dec 17, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Great news . . . and the numbers sound good (fair for both parties).
    Phillies fans are spoiled by Jimmy’s defensive skills. Even losing a step with age, he’s still very good.
    Maybe jedi master RAJ really brought Willis in to crank Jimmy’s enthusiasm up a notch. Hmmmm…

• phillyphever - Dec 17, 2011 at 2:13 PM

That might have helped. And Willis is the second lefty this BP needed badly.

• areyesrn - Dec 17, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Next year, Dontrelle will be intentionally walked so they can strike Ryan Howard out…LOL

• phillyphreak - Dec 17, 2011 at 3:08 PM

I didn’t realize it was impossible to fail at trolling. Thankfully, areyesrn proved me wrong.

11. muckthefets23 - Dec 17, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Mox the way it’s looking from the report from CSNPhilly, you can pretty much just say its 4 yrs/ 44 mil. Doesn’t look like a team option at all.

12. uyf1950 - Dec 17, 2011 at 2:30 PM

It would appear based on the UPDATES the 4th year $11MM vesting option is an easy one to attain. It looks like Rollins and the Phillies management both gave in a little to get this deal done. Good for them.

13. dasher521 - Dec 17, 2011 at 3:15 PM

We don’t have many life long Philadelphia Phillies – not Ed Delahanty, not “Pete” Alexander, not Chuck Klein, not Robin Roberts, not Richie Ashburn, not Steve Carlton. Mike Schmidt and .., and … and … Glad to have Jimmy back!

• siftin thru nonsense - Dec 17, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Add Chooch. Chooch will be a lifelong Phillie. Catchers dont last long though, esp. if their bats go dead.

14. rexadelphia8 - Dec 17, 2011 at 3:55 PM

He’s too lazy for my liking. Let’s try to not pop out half the time by swinging at the first pitch. One homer a year doin it doesn’t make it right.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 17, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Actually Jimmy hits around .333 lifetime when he swings at the first pitch. Off the top of my head I read that before. So while it seems bad when you see him pop out, he really does it because it works.

• siftin thru nonsense - Dec 17, 2011 at 10:13 PM

JRoll’s problem really isnt just the not working the pitcher part. His biggest problem is swinging at non-strikes. That’s the real deal there. He swings at that high fastball and it gets airborne, then caught. When he swings at strikes, he makes solid contact and hits line drives. JRoll, discipline my man. You can do it if you want to.

• siftin thru nonsense - Dec 17, 2011 at 10:36 PM

.339 lifetime with an outcome on the 0-0 count. .292 with an outcome on the 0-1 count. After 0-1, .242. after 0-2, .217. with 3-1 count, .353. I just hope his avg can be around .280. If he can just lay off that high fastball and swing at good pitches , he could really be great. Pitchers should just pump him high fastballs if they have a good fastball. He will pop that up.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 18, 2011 at 9:21 AM

shhh, don’t give the opposition any bright ideas…. :P

• siftin thru nonsense - Dec 17, 2011 at 10:41 PM

He can hit 20 homers. He has hit .339 with an outcome on an 0-0 count so while he doesnt work the pitcher, he does well with that outcome. If he did wait for strikes and stopped swinging at high pitches, he could hit .300 I think. I just hope he stays healthy. So who will take Ben Francisco’s spot on the roster? Any ideas?

15. nocryinginbaseball07 - Dec 17, 2011 at 4:05 PM

And swinging at the first pitch doesn’t mean he’s lazy. Frustrating, to be sure, but the last thing I would call Jimmy is lazy.

• bronxbomber213 - Dec 17, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Yea I wouldnt call a guy who was benched by good old Cholly Manuel for not running pop ups and grounders out lazy..that’s the last thing I would call him too…

• nocryinginbaseball07 - Dec 17, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Lol, you got me there, but those times were not the norm, and certainly not his pattern lately….particularly the last post season. Of course, he was also looking for a contract at that point. Still, I’m glad he’s back, and time will tell.

• ame123 - Dec 17, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Jroll has a .869 career OPS swinging first pitch.

16. irishjackmp - Dec 17, 2011 at 4:18 PM

From reading the comments on here it sounds like I am in the minority here but I don’t like this deal as a Phils fan.

I am unaware of any other team offering him a three year deal and yet, Ruben Amaro gives him a sizeable raise and basically a four year deal. Jimmy has basically been a 260-265 hiter the last few years and his offense will almost certainly continue to decline. They need offense. I would have much rather they used Jimmy’s 11m a year to sign Arimis Ramirez to get his 25-30 HR and 95-100 RBI and (gulp) go with Wilson Valdez at shortstop for a year until Freddy Galvis is ready next year (and move Vicotino back to leadoff as Jimmy is not a leadoff hitter).

I’d take Ramirez at third, Valdez at SS for one year and Victorino batting leadoff over a broken down Palanco @ 3rd, Jimmy locked in for 4 years and Jimmy hitting leadoff any day of the week.

The Ibanez and Palanco deals should have taught Amaro you don’t give 3+ years to older, declining players.

• mikedi33 - Dec 17, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Agreed, but Jimmy is also a lie long Phil who has contributed to 5 straight first place finishes and also outperformed his last contract. Different situation than Raul and Polly.

• irishjackmp - Dec 17, 2011 at 7:35 PM

I agree with everything you said. I also think it’s not relevant. Contracts are about future performance, not past performance. You don’t give out contracts based on sentiment (i.e. “but he’s done so much for the organization”), you give them out based on how the player most likely will perform. And the bottom line is they just gave a sizeable raise and a four year deal to a player whose batting average has dropped signifigantly over the last thee years and is entering his declining years physically (he will be 33 in the first year of the deal)

This team didn’t make the WS the last two years because they couldn’t hit.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 17, 2011 at 5:32 PM

He’s an above average defender at a hard defensive position, if he hits at all it’s a bonus. He actually walks a decent amount (9% of his plate appearances), he just hasn’t got as many hits. But he’s been worth about 3 WAR/year the last three years, even while missing time which makes this contract an underpay.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 17, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Thank you COPO. A voice of reason without red colored glasses like myself. He’s middle of the pack with the bat, defends his position above average consistently. Jimmy’s walk to strike ratio is second only to Reyes. I say it’s a good deal. Jimmy gets more grief than he deserves imo. Plus the guys screaming about his first pitch swings are plain wrong. He’s got good numbers swinging on that first pitch, I’m sure he knows it too.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 17, 2011 at 7:24 PM

I meant to say “Among other short stops” talking about batting skill.

• phillyphreak - Dec 17, 2011 at 6:06 PM

RE: ” They need offense. I would have much rather they used Jimmy’s 11m a year to sign Arimis Ramirez to get his 25-30 HR and 95-100 RBI and (gulp) go with Wilson Valdez at shortstop for a year”

By doing this they’d not only weaken the left side of the infield defensively (SS and 3B), but also downgrade offensively at SS.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 17, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Not to mention Wilson hits into more double plays than Jeter on date night.

17. fatass5 - Dec 17, 2011 at 5:13 PM

THANK YOU JIMMY for coming back , hart and soul of our team!

18. bleedgreen - Dec 17, 2011 at 5:55 PM

So he got what RAJ was offering in the first place, when Jimmy scoffed. RAJ knows the market and knows what most players are worth.

19. rexadelphia8 - Dec 18, 2011 at 12:40 PM

His pros out way the cons defensively he’s beast offensively I wish he would play with the spirit of pence. For that money he’s gotta earn it if we want another W.S

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3742)