Dec 17, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT
UPDATE: The Reds just announced that they have acquired Latos from the Padres for first baseman Yonder Alonso, right-handers Edinson Volquez and Brad Boxberger and catching prospect Yasmani Grandal. Wow. This one is looking a lot better for San Diego.
1:12 PM: Well, the Reds have landed the top-flight starter they’ve been looking for all offseason.
Latos has a 3.37 ERA over his first 72 starts in the majors, averaging 8.7 K/9 and 2.8 BB/9. The 24-year-old began this season on the disabled list with a shoulder strain, but ended up posting a 3.47 ERA and 185/62 K/BB ratio over 194 1/3 innings. He is arbitration-eligible for the first time next winter and under team control though 2015. His home/road splits aren’t all that different, so he should do fine with the move to Great American Ballpark.
Alonso is well regarded for his bat, but was blocked at first base in Cincinnati by Joey Votto. He could probably step in as the starting first baseman with the Padres right away, though one wonders what will happen with Anthony Rizzo, who was acquired from the Red Sox in last winter’s Adrian Gonzalez deal. Perhaps new GM Josh Byrnes has another deal on the way.
Like most of you, I’m eager to see who else the Padres got here. Latos was their most valuable chip, so I’m underwhelmed at the moment.
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 7
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 24
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)