Dec 17, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT
UPDATE: The Reds just announced that they have acquired Latos from the Padres for first baseman Yonder Alonso, right-handers Edinson Volquez and Brad Boxberger and catching prospect Yasmani Grandal. Wow. This one is looking a lot better for San Diego.
1:12 PM: Well, the Reds have landed the top-flight starter they’ve been looking for all offseason.
Latos has a 3.37 ERA over his first 72 starts in the majors, averaging 8.7 K/9 and 2.8 BB/9. The 24-year-old began this season on the disabled list with a shoulder strain, but ended up posting a 3.47 ERA and 185/62 K/BB ratio over 194 1/3 innings. He is arbitration-eligible for the first time next winter and under team control though 2015. His home/road splits aren’t all that different, so he should do fine with the move to Great American Ballpark.
Alonso is well regarded for his bat, but was blocked at first base in Cincinnati by Joey Votto. He could probably step in as the starting first baseman with the Padres right away, though one wonders what will happen with Anthony Rizzo, who was acquired from the Red Sox in last winter’s Adrian Gonzalez deal. Perhaps new GM Josh Byrnes has another deal on the way.
Like most of you, I’m eager to see who else the Padres got here. Latos was their most valuable chip, so I’m underwhelmed at the moment.
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 0
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 55
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 45
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 82
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (242)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)