Dec 17, 2011, 10:59 AM EST
If the $48 million figure proves accurate, it would fall just under the record $51,111,111 sum the Red Sox paid for exclusive negotiating rights with Daisuke Matsuzaka in 2006. They ended up agreeing to a six-year, $52 million contract.
George A. King III of the New York Post reported yesterday that the Blue Jays have the highest bid for Darvish, checking in somewhere between $40-50 million. We’ll have to wait to find out if that’s the case, but the winning team would have 30 days to work out a contract. The 25-year-old right-hander is reportedly seeking a five-year, $75 million deal, which could push the total investment over $120 million for an MLB team.
- MLB declares Hector Olivera a free agent 0
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 3
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 23
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)