Dec 17, 2011, 6:00 PM EDT
The Red Sox acquired right-hander Mark Melancon from the Astros earlier this week, but they aren’t done upgrading the back-end of their bullpen. According to Rob Bradford of WEEI.com, they have spoken to the Royals about the availability of closer Joakim Soria.
Talks have failed to progress thus far, as Kansas City is seeking at least “a couple solid pieces” in return. Soria is locked in at a very reasonable rate, including a $6 million salary next season, an $8 million club option for 2013 and an $8.75 million club option for 2014. Per his limited no-trade clause, he would have to approve a deal to Boston.
Soria lost the closer’s role briefly this past season and finished with a career-high 4.04 ERA, but he also posted a solid 60/17 K/BB ratio over 60 1/3 innings while his velocity was right in line with his career average. The 27-year-old right-hander has a 2.40 ERA over five seasons in the big leagues, averaging 9.7 K/9 and 2.5 BB/9.
Bradford hears that talks regarding Athletics’ closer Andrew Bailey are ongoing, though a deal would likely require a similarly heavy price tag.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)