Dec 17, 2011, 6:00 PM EDT
The Red Sox acquired right-hander Mark Melancon from the Astros earlier this week, but they aren’t done upgrading the back-end of their bullpen. According to Rob Bradford of WEEI.com, they have spoken to the Royals about the availability of closer Joakim Soria.
Talks have failed to progress thus far, as Kansas City is seeking at least “a couple solid pieces” in return. Soria is locked in at a very reasonable rate, including a $6 million salary next season, an $8 million club option for 2013 and an $8.75 million club option for 2014. Per his limited no-trade clause, he would have to approve a deal to Boston.
Soria lost the closer’s role briefly this past season and finished with a career-high 4.04 ERA, but he also posted a solid 60/17 K/BB ratio over 60 1/3 innings while his velocity was right in line with his career average. The 27-year-old right-hander has a 2.40 ERA over five seasons in the big leagues, averaging 9.7 K/9 and 2.5 BB/9.
Bradford hears that talks regarding Athletics’ closer Andrew Bailey are ongoing, though a deal would likely require a similarly heavy price tag.
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 8
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 96
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 97
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (103)