Dec 17, 2011, 5:01 PM EST
There are all sorts of ramifications to today’s Mat Latos deal, but one of the more under-the-radar aspects is that the Reds now have some extra cash to use in the free agent market. While they remain interested in re-signing closer Francisco Cordero, John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that they have also spoken with free agent outfielders Jason Kubel and Cody Ross.
Kubel, 29, has a .271/.335/.459 batting line over parts of seven seasons in the majors. He was limited to just 99 games this season due a sprained left foot. The Twins are interested in bringing him back, even after signing Josh Willingham this week, though Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reported today that it’s unlikely to happen unless his asking price comes down.
Ross is seeking a three-year deal this winter, but that’s a pretty unrealistic scenario following a season in which he batted just .240/.325/.405 with a .730 OPS. Still, he’s a right-handed bat and offers more flexibility defensively than Kubel. For what it’s worth, Reds general manager Walt Jocketty called Ross “an interesting name” earlier this month.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 80
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)