Dec 17, 2011, 5:01 PM EDT
There are all sorts of ramifications to today’s Mat Latos deal, but one of the more under-the-radar aspects is that the Reds now have some extra cash to use in the free agent market. While they remain interested in re-signing closer Francisco Cordero, John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that they have also spoken with free agent outfielders Jason Kubel and Cody Ross.
Kubel, 29, has a .271/.335/.459 batting line over parts of seven seasons in the majors. He was limited to just 99 games this season due a sprained left foot. The Twins are interested in bringing him back, even after signing Josh Willingham this week, though Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reported today that it’s unlikely to happen unless his asking price comes down.
Ross is seeking a three-year deal this winter, but that’s a pretty unrealistic scenario following a season in which he batted just .240/.325/.405 with a .730 OPS. Still, he’s a right-handed bat and offers more flexibility defensively than Kubel. For what it’s worth, Reds general manager Walt Jocketty called Ross “an interesting name” earlier this month.
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 61
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 9
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)