Dec 17, 2011, 9:59 AM EST
MLB scouts and front-office types have been buzzing about Cuban outfielder Yoenis Cespedes for a while, but he didn’t become a hot topic among most fans until his ridiculous scouting video made him an internet sensation early last month. Well, he’s back with another one.
Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus got the first look at the footage and once again breaks it down in meticulous and entertaining fashion. This one mostly keeps the focus on baseball, but we do get Cespedes and former NFL running back Ahman Green swimming in a river at the end. No big deal. Oh, and the Star Wars opening credits are back.
We also see some of the teams who have visited Cespedes in the Dominican Republic over the past few weeks. You’ll notice Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria and manager Ozzie Guillen, Red Sox hitting coach Dave Magadan, Phillies special adviser Pat Gillick, Tigers special assistant Willie Horton and the shadow of Cubs president Theo Epstein.
As far as when Cespedes will be available for MLB teams, he is hoping to establish residency in the Dominican Republic within the next few days. Once that’s done, he’ll have to get clearance from MLB and the U.S. Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control. This process will drag into January, but the expectation is that he’ll be in spring training with an MLB team.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 6
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 9
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 161
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (161)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)