Dec 17, 2011, 9:59 AM EDT
MLB scouts and front-office types have been buzzing about Cuban outfielder Yoenis Cespedes for a while, but he didn’t become a hot topic among most fans until his ridiculous scouting video made him an internet sensation early last month. Well, he’s back with another one.
Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus got the first look at the footage and once again breaks it down in meticulous and entertaining fashion. This one mostly keeps the focus on baseball, but we do get Cespedes and former NFL running back Ahman Green swimming in a river at the end. No big deal. Oh, and the Star Wars opening credits are back.
We also see some of the teams who have visited Cespedes in the Dominican Republic over the past few weeks. You’ll notice Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria and manager Ozzie Guillen, Red Sox hitting coach Dave Magadan, Phillies special adviser Pat Gillick, Tigers special assistant Willie Horton and the shadow of Cubs president Theo Epstein.
As far as when Cespedes will be available for MLB teams, he is hoping to establish residency in the Dominican Republic within the next few days. Once that’s done, he’ll have to get clearance from MLB and the U.S. Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control. This process will drag into January, but the expectation is that he’ll be in spring training with an MLB team.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)