Cubs speaking with agent Scott Boras about Prince Fielder

Dec 18, 2011, 12:08 PM EDT

fielder getty brewers Getty Images

Another day, another take on the Cubs’ level of interest in free agent first baseman Prince Fielder.

According to Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago, the Cubs’ decision-makers first expressed a desire to sign Fielder back at the general managers meetings in mid-November and have kept an open line of communication with agent Scott Boras ever since.

On Friday morning, Cubs manager Dale Sveum told CSNChicago.com that no one within the organization had spoken directly to Fielder this offseason.

But there have been direct chats with Boras.

Fielder, 27, batted .299/.415/.566 with 38 home runs and 120 RBI in 692 plate appearances this past season for the National League Central champion Brewers. He owns a stellar .929 career OPS.

1. dondada10 - Dec 18, 2011 at 12:57 PM

I’m baffled that Fielder hasn’t signed yet. After Reyes and Pujols, you figured he was the next domino that would fall.

• evanwins - Dec 18, 2011 at 3:26 PM

I think it’s fairly simple. Pujols, although older, is proven (because of his age) and therefore was a safer bet with a long term contract. Fielder, who is of the “extremely bad body type” variety is younger and more than likely going to either experience an injury that will severely slow his performance down and/or just flat out not going to “age” as well as Pujols.

No one wants to give Fielder more than 5 years. His value past that is HIGHLY suspect.

Add to that that Boras thinks he has the second coming of Christ who is worthy of 10 years $250M and what you have is Fatty Free Agent Prince Fielder.

• baseballisboring - Dec 19, 2011 at 3:50 AM

Or maybe it’s cause Boras clients pretty much always sign late, it’s only December, the Sox, Yanks and Phils don’t need him, and St Louis and Miami aren’t willing to spend for him the way they were for Albert because he doesn’t have the same marketability.

Jesus, there were a few teams seemingly willing to give Pujols 10 and he’s 31, I’d be surprised if Fielder doesn’t get 6 or 7.

• henryd3rd - Dec 20, 2011 at 4:10 AM

Fielder’s more like a brick as oppose to a domino.

2. proudlycanadian - Dec 18, 2011 at 1:03 PM

I suspect that the headline should read “Boras is constantly calling the Cubs in a desperate bid to get them to overpay Fielder”.

3. krznbacca - Dec 18, 2011 at 1:09 PM

My reaction to every Fielder post.

4. isujames - Dec 18, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Everybody knows thats what agents get paid to do negotiate,get the best deal for their client thats their job.

5. romoscollarbone - Dec 18, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Sucks to shop a slugger at 1b when NYY n Boston are set there. Sucks that arod owns them. Fielder would be a stellar DH.

• 78mu - Dec 18, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Albert did okay without NY or Boston getting in the game.

6. jaygiants - Dec 18, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Well the agent gets paid better the better deal he gets his player so I’m sure boras is bugging people.

7. andyreidisfat - Dec 18, 2011 at 5:03 PM

I dont understand baseball teams. A “maybe” 31 year old guy gets a ten year deal, while a guy who over the last 3 years has the same numbers yet is only 27 is having trouble finding a team.

As much as I love Ryan Howard if the phillies could work a trade with the cardinals and sign fielder I think that would be great and I love Howard, I just think fielder is younger and hits for better average. I really hope raj is looking into this.

• evanwins - Dec 18, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Are you kidding me? You think Fielder will be half the player he is now in 5 years? Really. Look at his body type and tell me honestly that you think this guy has what it takes to have a long healthy career as an athlete. Look at his body and tell me you don’t see a career-altering injury in the next few years. Look at him and tell me you see a high-acheiving 35 year old. Well, neither do GMs.

• baseballisboring - Dec 19, 2011 at 6:33 AM

“And by the way, say what you will about Ryan Howard but his power numbers are unmatched by ANYONE in baseball, including Pujols and Fielder. Look up his numbers since he entered the league.”

aaaaahahahahahahaha

“And if Fielder is so great how come he only has 1 division title and nothing else? He was on a team last year with an MVP and the reigning CY Young winner so don’t give me “because he’s on bad teams”.”

AAAAAHAHAHAHA.

8. wardmanone - Dec 18, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Scott B, he is great at smoke and mirrors wait their will be in identified 3 or 4 team. Prince is major talent and whoever gets him will improve except for the Cubs because they are the Cubs

9. adirtyplayernamedsue - Dec 18, 2011 at 7:33 PM

I hope they don’t sign him, totally overrated. Great hitter, horrible, and I mean HORRIBLE, first baseman.

10. westcoastredbird - Dec 18, 2011 at 9:42 PM

I just got a tweet from Scott Bora$. There’s now two mystery teams involved!

11. crisisjunky - Dec 18, 2011 at 11:23 PM

one of the mystery teams is usually Team Boras.

12. nflinla - Dec 19, 2011 at 5:54 AM

He’s going to sign with the Dodgers

13. muckthefets23 - Dec 19, 2011 at 6:12 AM

If he signs with the dodgers I will give you my whole years salary and my first born. Cause that isn’t happening, Ned Coletti thinks James Loney is an elite first baseman which is as laughable as Prince signing there.

14. jleo78 - Dec 20, 2011 at 1:23 AM

i agree, prince sucks. hope melvin can sign him to a 5 year fat boy minimum so all the haters can see what this fat boy will do for the next 15 years. He plays almost every game and moves better than alot of guys half his size. And if we are rating players by how many cy young winners were on his team, well that puts ryan howard where? And how many mvps is ryan howard playing with? 2, 3? He sucks!

15. henryd3rd - Dec 20, 2011 at 4:15 AM

Everyone here seems to be overlooking one important fact. Fielder’s ego and his negative impact in the locker room is hindering his prospects. Why haven’t the Brewers stepped up to the plate and tried to resign him? They know the deal

16. jleo78 - Dec 21, 2011 at 12:48 AM

prince is not a bad teamate or presence in the clubhouse. There has never been an issue with prince and the only reason that melvin isnt paying him is because he cant afford him. They offered him a 5 yr/100 million and braun also was given 100 million and in milwaukee, thats like the mailman owning 2 bentlys and the brewers wernt into the scott boras bidding that was immediately out of reach, and both sides knew that going into the 2011 season. But it has nothing to do with him being a cancer in the clubhouse.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet