Dec 18, 2011, 12:08 PM EST
Another day, another take on the Cubs’ level of interest in free agent first baseman Prince Fielder.
According to Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago, the Cubs’ decision-makers first expressed a desire to sign Fielder back at the general managers meetings in mid-November and have kept an open line of communication with agent Scott Boras ever since.
On Friday morning, Cubs manager Dale Sveum told CSNChicago.com that no one within the organization had spoken directly to Fielder this offseason.
But there have been direct chats with Boras.
Fielder, 27, batted .299/.415/.566 with 38 home runs and 120 RBI in 692 plate appearances this past season for the National League Central champion Brewers. He owns a stellar .929 career OPS.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 66
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 121
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)