Dec 18, 2011, 1:42 PM EDT
As first reported by Terry Pluto of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, then confirmed by FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, the Indians are in serious talks with the representatives for veteran outfielder Mike Cameron.
The Indians are also interested in Andy LaRoche.
Cameron hit just .203/.285/.359 with nine homers and 27 RBI over 78 games between the Red Sox and Marlins in 2011, but the 38-year-old probably isn’t demanding anything greater than a minor league contract and an invitation to spring training.
Cameron would provide insurance in case Grady Sizemore again struggles with injuries. LaRoche, who also won’t do better than a minor league deal, would simply function as organizational infield depth.
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 19
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 19
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)