Cubs, Padres talking Matt Garza-Anthony Rizzo trade?

Dec 18, 2011, 9:46 AM EDT

garza ap AP

According to Jim Bowden of ESPN and MLB Network Radio, the Padres have expressed interest in acquiring right-handed starter Matt Garza from the Cubs in a package trade that would include 22-year-old first baseman Anthony Rizzo.

It’s not yet known which other names are involve in the talks, or how far along the negotiations are.

Rizzo was made expendable Saturday when the Padres picked up first base prospect Yonder Alonso in a five-player trade with the Reds. Alonso is expected to open the 2012 season as San Diego’s starting first baseman.

Garza, 28, posted a 3.32 ERA and 1.26 WHIP in 31 starts this past year for the Cubs, fanning 197 batters and walking only 63 across 198 total innings. He’s arbitration-eligible for two more seasons.

1. dondada10 - Dec 18, 2011 at 10:02 AM

The Padres would be better suited trading Rizzo for a guy who is under team control for longer than Garza is.

2. EK Ohio - Dec 18, 2011 at 10:05 AM

So, Theo wants to get back together with Rizzo, eh?

3. mdev1987 - Dec 18, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Why garza? Makes no sense

• baseballisboring - Dec 19, 2011 at 6:09 AM

Maybe it does…I’m gonna talk out of my ass for a minute. Perhaps their plan, knowing Garza isn’t gonna cost as much in a trade as, say, Latos did, is to trade a couple of their blocked or expendable prospects to bring in Garza with an eye more toward 2012. They have long term solutions at 1B and C now, with Alonso being MLB ready and Grandal probably half a season, maybe a full season at AAA away from being ready (Hundley is good though).

If Volquez can bounce back (still striking guys out, but terrible control last year) with the move to Petco, the front 3 in the rotation is Garza-Volquez-Luebke, which is pretty good, again, IF Volquez can bounce back. They picked up Huston Street and Boxberger, and have a few other good arms in the bullpen.

Of course, even with Grandal and Alonso potentially emerging the offense would still be a bit of a horror show. But every offseason there seems to be some decent rentals for corner spots that would give the offense a lift. But when you look at the division…D’Backs seem due for regression, Giants have no offense, the Rockies are kinda rebuilding and the Dodgers aren’t that good. If they can get Garza for a price that’s not gonna hamper them for the future, it might be worth it to go all in for 2012. And if the team flops in the first half, trade him and any offensive help you may have gotten for some prospects at the deadline.

God I’m a genius. Or maybe Theo doesn’t wanna trade him and this whole scenario makes no sense. I’m tired. Bye.

4. uyf1950 - Dec 18, 2011 at 10:19 AM

The logic on the part of the Padres kind of escapes me right now. You would have to think that generally speaking Theo and Cubs would probably be looking for a package somewhat similar for Garza as what the Padres got for Latos to make the deal. And Garza over the course of at least the next several years is going to cost the Padres a lot more than Latos would have in salary if they had kept him. Like I said the logic escapes me at the moment.

• Alex K - Dec 18, 2011 at 10:39 AM

I don’t think the Cubs could ask for a package like the Padres just got because Garza doesn’t have as much control left as Latos. They should absolutely look for at least one prospect on the level of Rizzo if they are going to trade Garza, however.

• paperlions - Dec 18, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Exactly, more expensive and less control = less value in prospects

• JBerardi - Dec 18, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Classic pump-and-dump. The Padres are already negotiating their trade deadline deal that sends Garza to Boston.

• rohlo - Dec 18, 2011 at 3:33 PM

boston isnt even gonna be in the pennant chase this year! thye lost alot and the chemistry isnt there..yanks rays and bluejays in the al east will battle it out!

• baseballisboring - Dec 19, 2011 at 5:52 AM

What will they ever do without “the chemistry”…

• uyf1950 - Dec 18, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Alex, you may be right. But I don’t think Epstein will do a deal for that much less. Remember the Cubs do not have to trade him. And if they are indeed in on Fielder keeping Garza along with Fielder may just give Epstein enough of a good feeling not to move him at all.

Like I said I still don’t think It makes sense for the Padres to do this type of deal.

5. cowboysoldiertx - Dec 18, 2011 at 10:33 AM

This would make no sense to me. Obviously they think Rizzo needs more seasoning, but the Padres are not going to win next year and they know it. So if you were going to trade for Garza you might as well have just kept Latos, sined a stop gap firstbaseman and let Rizzo take his hacks in the minors.

• mikeyrivs23 - Dec 18, 2011 at 11:44 AM

But keep in mind they didn’t just get Alonso…I agree it makes no sense to go for Garza, but I wouldn’t say they should have kept Rizzo and nixed the Alonso deal.

6. Alex K - Dec 18, 2011 at 10:34 AM

This would be a great move for the Cubs if they could make it happen. I don’t understand why the Padres would do it, though. The only reason to go after Garza is if you are looking to contend this year or next. I don’t know if the Padres are that close.

Any way you slice it if the Cubs can make this deal it makes me happy as a Cubs fan. I like Garza a lot, but Rizzo is under control for 6 years and is young enough to be on the next winning Cubs team.

• Old Gator - Dec 18, 2011 at 10:51 AM

You’re assuming that Rizzo will live another hundred years, then?

• blueintown - Dec 18, 2011 at 11:36 AM

How original.

• mjb6971 - Dec 22, 2011 at 12:35 AM

lol agree , I dont think cubs fans realize what is ahead of us . Way things are going , we are looking at 4-5 years before MAYBE we have a chance to win again . Rickkets is going to spend the money on the ball park next 3-5 years . Sucks to be us i guess ! Cubs fans screwed again .

• mjb6971 - Dec 22, 2011 at 12:38 AM

Not to mentioned he used 20 mil on the McDonald’s across from Wrigley LOL That was 20 mil could of been used for the ball Club.

7. Bryz - Dec 18, 2011 at 10:45 AM

I can understand why the Padres would do this. They’re always hurting for offense, so when the Reds came calling and offering up Alonso, Volquez, and other prospects, they couldn’t say no. However, it also took away their ace pitcher, and they want to find another to replace Latos.

If the Padres can build a package around Rizzo and pitching, they should do just fine. In Petco, nearly any pitcher can become successful, which means that their pitchers are less valuable to them than hitters. As I said, if the Cubs are willing to take a Rizzo + pitchers deal for Garza, I think the Padres would be happy. In the end, they would have a downgrade from Latos to Garza, but they’d also get an upgrade on the offensive side with Alonso and (down the road) Grandal. Oh, and there’s also a good reliever in Boxberger and a wild card in Volquez.

• Alex K - Dec 18, 2011 at 11:48 AM

I don’t know if it is actually a downgrade from Latos to Garza. They are pretty equal, right now. If you want to say that Latos has more ceiling to reach and could be better than Garza down the road, I might jump on board with that.

But it doesn’t make sense for the Padres to make this trade because Latos still has 4 years of control and Garza has 2. They gave up a similar pitcher that was cheaper and they had longer. I also don’t know if Alonso is going to be better than Rizzo in 2-3 years.

Unless the Padres are going to try and win now, none of these moves make a ton of sense, to me.

• b7p19 - Dec 18, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Why is everyone looking at this as simply Latos for Garza? If they flip Rizzo for Garza, they still have Alonso and Grandal. The chance to add two solid peices with a lot of team control left for Latos is a value move. Then you throw in a possible future closer and you’ve got yourself a great deal. Rizzo is now expendable. I don’t know if Garza is my first choice, but you need to try and get something for him before other teams realize he’s just a power potential guy that looked REAL lost last year.

• Alex K - Dec 18, 2011 at 4:35 PM

I like the package the Padres got for Latos. I just don’t know if they should have made the trade. It was a lot of value, but Latos is young, cheap, and good, also. 1B wasn’t a need for them, so a package headlined by a 1B seems odd, to me. This deal also assumes that Grandal can stay at catcher which I hear may not be the case.

But I bring up Latos for Garza because they play the same position. So Garza would be replacing Latos (Side note: Garza would be great in SD. He’s a flyball pitcher and that park eats HR.). The question is, why trade Latos if you’re going to turn around and trade for a guy that is about the same as Latos but more expensive?

Also, Rizzo in only 22. It is totally fair for a 21 year old to be overmatched in the majors. The guys in that league are pretty good from what I understand.

8. robco92 - Dec 18, 2011 at 1:51 PM

So if the Padres trade Rizzo, what would they have to show for the Adrian Gonzalez trade?
    I also think they should maybe go after a weakness in the middle infield. I would hope they do a Rizzo/Headley/Bartlett
    for Garza/Castro maybe they can even exchange problems and include Hudson and Zambrano and Padres could throw in Venable.

• Alex K - Dec 18, 2011 at 3:59 PM

There is a -.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% chance that the Cubs are going to trade Castro. You should probably just stop dreaming on that one.

9. mattjerr - Dec 18, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Who would have thought teams would start playing hot potato with Rizzo? Or Theo’s master plan?

10. spartytime - Dec 18, 2011 at 9:53 PM

hahhahahaha trade castro? you pardes fans are delusional if you think theo is ever gonna think of trading castro. you guys are hilarious

Three legends off to Cooperstown