Dec 18, 2011, 3:05 PM EST
Pirates GM Neal Huntington told fans at Saturday’s PirateFest that he is “optimistic” about signing Andrew McCutchen to a long-term extension before the 25-year-old center fielder reaches free agency.
This according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
McCutchen isn’t eligible for salary arbitration until after the 2012 season and won’t hit free agency until the winter of 2015, so the Bucs aren’t in a great hurry quite yet. But they’ll do their best, once the time comes, to ensure that the face of their franchise is not exposed to the open market. Here’s Huntington:
“When you enter a negotiation, you’re at X, the player’s at Z and you work awfully hard to try to find Y. There has to be a compromise, there has to be a shared risk on both sides.”
McCutchen batted .259/.364/.456 with 23 home runs, 89 RBI and 23 stolen bases in 678 plate appearances this past year for the 72-90 Pirates. Through three major league seasons, he owns an .822 career OPS.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)