Dec 19, 2011, 1:46 PM EDT
Two weeks ago the Diamondbacks reportedly made Hiroki Kuroda a contract offer, but general manager Kevin Towers revealed today that they couldn’t get the free agent right-hander to give them an answer.
Apparently the money was burning a hole in Towers’ pocket, although it seems odd that he’d spend it on an outfielder rather than turning his attention to a different starting pitcher.
It’s possible that the Kubel signing could allow the Diamondbacks to trade Parra for pitching help, but Towers indicated to Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic that they plan to keep him in a part-time role.
For now Arizona’s front four is Ian Kennedy, Daniel Hudson, Trevor Cahill, and Josh Collmenter, and the Diamondbacks have plenty of good pitching prospects to compete for the final rotation spot if they opt against a veteran pickup.
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 2
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 39
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)