Dec 19, 2011, 1:46 PM EDT
Two weeks ago the Diamondbacks reportedly made Hiroki Kuroda a contract offer, but general manager Kevin Towers revealed today that they couldn’t get the free agent right-hander to give them an answer.
Apparently the money was burning a hole in Towers’ pocket, although it seems odd that he’d spend it on an outfielder rather than turning his attention to a different starting pitcher.
It’s possible that the Kubel signing could allow the Diamondbacks to trade Parra for pitching help, but Towers indicated to Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic that they plan to keep him in a part-time role.
For now Arizona’s front four is Ian Kennedy, Daniel Hudson, Trevor Cahill, and Josh Collmenter, and the Diamondbacks have plenty of good pitching prospects to compete for the final rotation spot if they opt against a veteran pickup.
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 17
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 10
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)