Dec 19, 2011, 7:48 PM EDT
Just a quick mini-update while we patiently (or anxiously, depending upon your fandom) wait to learn who had the top bid for Yu Darvish.
No big news yet, but Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com reports that the Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters have “definitely” decided to accept the top bid.
Hardly a shocker, as Franz Lidz of SI.com reported over the weekend that the posting fee is expected to top the record $51,111,111 sum that the Red Sox paid for exclusive negotiating rights with right-hander Daisuke Matsuzaka back in November of 2006.
An official announcement is expected at some point tonight (U.S. time), but Knobler hears that it might not happen for another three hours or so. Stay tuned.
- Ryne Sandberg opines on baseball’s steroid era 21
- Watch David Wells’ perfect game from 15 years ago today 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 61
- Army Lt. Col. surprises daughter on ceremonial first pitch 34
- Bryce Harper in Nationals’ lineup for first time since crashing into right field wall 8
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness