Dec 19, 2011, 7:48 PM EDT
Just a quick mini-update while we patiently (or anxiously, depending upon your fandom) wait to learn who had the top bid for Yu Darvish.
No big news yet, but Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com reports that the Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters have “definitely” decided to accept the top bid.
Hardly a shocker, as Franz Lidz of SI.com reported over the weekend that the posting fee is expected to top the record $51,111,111 sum that the Red Sox paid for exclusive negotiating rights with right-hander Daisuke Matsuzaka back in November of 2006.
An official announcement is expected at some point tonight (U.S. time), but Knobler hears that it might not happen for another three hours or so. Stay tuned.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)