Dec 19, 2011, 3:30 PM EST
Washington and Cleveland were reportedly fighting over Mike Cameron.
I’m not sure if this qualifies as winning or losing the fight, but Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the 38-year-old outfielder has decided to sign with the Nationals.
Cameron defied father time for years, remaining very productive offensively and excellent defensively into his mid-30s, but he was injured for most of 2010 and hit just .203 with nine homers and a .643 OPS in 78 games for the Red Sox and Marlins this past season.
With that said, there are worse options to fill a bench role as a backup outfielder who can still probably be reasonably productive versus left-handed pitching, and the Nationals have made it clear all offseason that they want some veterans on the bench. And the Indians may have bowed out after acquiring Aaron Cunningham to fill a similar role.
UPDATE: Cameron got a minor-league deal, so he’ll have to compete for a job during spring training.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)