Dec 19, 2011, 8:40 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Nationals are “pushing hard” to acquire left-hander Gio Gonzalez from the Athletics. No word on the specific players being offered by Washington, but Rosenthal hears the two sides are discussing a four-for-one deal.
Gonzalez has drawn interest from several teams this winter. The 26-year-old left-hander is arbitration-eligible for the first time as a Super Two player, but he’s still four years away from free agency. The asking price is naturally expected to be sky high.
It doesn’t appear as though anything is imminent and it’s possible that whoever lost out on the bidding for right-hander Yu Darvish could intensify their pursuit in the next 24 hours. The Blue Jays and Rangers (considered the favorites for Darvish) have both been linked to Gonzalez this offseason.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 36
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 67
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 118
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 108
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (118)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)