Dec 19, 2011, 11:14 PM EDT
UPDATE: It’s official. The Rangers have confirmed that they won rights to Darvish.
11:10 PM: It’s all over.
No official confirmation yet, but if true, it will top the $51,111,111 sum that the Red Sox paid for exclusive negotiating rights to right-hander Daisuke Matsuzaka back in November of 2006. They ended up agreeing to a six-year, $52 million contract.
The Rangers now have 30 days to work out a contract with Darvish. The 25-year-old right-hander is believed to be seeking a five-year deal in the range of $75 million, which could push the total investment north of $120 million. He is represented stateside by agent Arn Tellem.
Darvish went 18-7 with a career-low 1.44 ERA and a 276/36 K/BB ratio in 232 innings this season with the Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters. Standing at 6-foot-5 and 185 pounds, he has a 1.99 career ERA over seven seasons in Japan.
The Rangers were considered one of the front-runners for Darvish all along, as general manager Jon Daniels scouted him in person this past season. If the two sides can work out a deal, Darvish will join a rotation which is set to include some combination of Derek Holland, Colby Lewis, Neftali Feliz, Matt Harrison and Alexi Ogando.
No word on how close the Blue Jays were to the Rangers’ bid, but it will be interesting to see where they go from here. They are loaded with prospects, so they could pursue either Matt Garza or Gio Gonzalez via trade. And who knows, perhaps they could make a run at free agent first baseman Prince Fielder.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 3
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)