Dec 19, 2011, 11:14 PM EST
UPDATE: It’s official. The Rangers have confirmed that they won rights to Darvish.
11:10 PM: It’s all over.
No official confirmation yet, but if true, it will top the $51,111,111 sum that the Red Sox paid for exclusive negotiating rights to right-hander Daisuke Matsuzaka back in November of 2006. They ended up agreeing to a six-year, $52 million contract.
The Rangers now have 30 days to work out a contract with Darvish. The 25-year-old right-hander is believed to be seeking a five-year deal in the range of $75 million, which could push the total investment north of $120 million. He is represented stateside by agent Arn Tellem.
Darvish went 18-7 with a career-low 1.44 ERA and a 276/36 K/BB ratio in 232 innings this season with the Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters. Standing at 6-foot-5 and 185 pounds, he has a 1.99 career ERA over seven seasons in Japan.
The Rangers were considered one of the front-runners for Darvish all along, as general manager Jon Daniels scouted him in person this past season. If the two sides can work out a deal, Darvish will join a rotation which is set to include some combination of Derek Holland, Colby Lewis, Neftali Feliz, Matt Harrison and Alexi Ogando.
No word on how close the Blue Jays were to the Rangers’ bid, but it will be interesting to see where they go from here. They are loaded with prospects, so they could pursue either Matt Garza or Gio Gonzalez via trade. And who knows, perhaps they could make a run at free agent first baseman Prince Fielder.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)