Dec 19, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
Last week Chris Jaffe of The Hardball Times made the Hall of Fame case for Tim Raines. He did it in decidedly non-advanced stats terms in order to preempt the “you sabermetricians and your voodoo sorcery!” objections. If you read it and still can’t call Tim Raines a Hall of Famer there’s no helping you.
Today Chris gives Jeff Bagwell the same treatment. Maybe it’s not as necessary. I get the sense that Bagwell would be in easily if not for the irresponsible steroid speculation surrounding him, so convincing people that his numbers were awesome is sort of beside the point.
But in the event you need convincing, check it out. And if you still don’t think Bagwell is a Hall of Famer after reading it, it’s incumbent upon you to explain why.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 16
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 58
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 46
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)