Dec 20, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
It’s unclear how far along the two sides are in talks, but Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, Steve Henson of Yahoo! Sports, and Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch have each reported recently that the Cardinals are interested in Coco Crisp.
Allen Craig is likely to miss at least the first month of the season following knee surgery, which would allow Crisp to play center field every day while Jon Jay shifts to right field. And once Craig returns manager Mike Matheny would have to platoon him mostly versus left-handers or bench one of Crisp or Jay.
Crisp in center field and Jay in right field would give the Cardinals’ outfield defense a huge boost compared to having Jay in center field and Lance Berkman in right field this past season, but Crisp hit just .264 with a .693 OPS in 136 games for the A’s and has topped a .750 OPS just twice in the past six seasons.
And with a .314 on-base percentage in 2011 as part of a .330 career mark Crisp isn’t a particularly strong fit as a leadoff man, but there’s speculation that the Cardinals would bat him atop the lineup.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)