Dec 20, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
It’s unclear how far along the two sides are in talks, but Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, Steve Henson of Yahoo! Sports, and Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch have each reported recently that the Cardinals are interested in Coco Crisp.
Allen Craig is likely to miss at least the first month of the season following knee surgery, which would allow Crisp to play center field every day while Jon Jay shifts to right field. And once Craig returns manager Mike Matheny would have to platoon him mostly versus left-handers or bench one of Crisp or Jay.
Crisp in center field and Jay in right field would give the Cardinals’ outfield defense a huge boost compared to having Jay in center field and Lance Berkman in right field this past season, but Crisp hit just .264 with a .693 OPS in 136 games for the A’s and has topped a .750 OPS just twice in the past six seasons.
And with a .314 on-base percentage in 2011 as part of a .330 career mark Crisp isn’t a particularly strong fit as a leadoff man, but there’s speculation that the Cardinals would bat him atop the lineup.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)