Don Mattingly is the manager of Confiturembourg

Dec 20, 2011, 11:34 AM EDT

St Louis Cardinals v Los Angeles Dodgers Getty Images

For reasons of personal and family history I’ve probably seen The Nutcracker a billion times, give or take. And now my daughter Mookie is a ballet dancer and she’s been in The Nutcracker for a couple of years in a row. It’s never gonna end. I could probably give a go to half of the parts in that thing and, even though I can’t dance, I could at least be in the right place at the right time because I know it so well. For better or for worse.

As a result of all of that, I have seen — and been generally uncomfortable with — the Mother Ginger bit in a good dozen permutations. I’ve never cared for it because almost all of those permutations involve a bunch of kids coming out from under a giant dress, typically worn by a dude in drag. Maybe I have issues, but it always comes off kind of creepy.

But Don Mattingly does a fine job with it.

Still a couple months until spring training, guys. So sorry, you’re gonna see a lot of this kind of thing around here.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 20, 2011 at 11:43 AM

I think we found our new pre-All Star game performance, ladies and gentlemen.

2. trevorb06 - Dec 20, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Craig, that’s no excuse. I dated somebody who had a sister in The Moscow Ballet’s Nutcracker and I got out of it each year. You need to have the backbone my friend. Please forfeit your Man Card until further notice.

• stevejeltzjehricurl - Dec 20, 2011 at 12:31 PM

I’m going to excuse Craig here, at least for the events where Mookie was dancing. You can’t get out of seeing your kids’ events, even if you want to (so says a father who is desperately hoping his daughters end up hating soccer).

3. natsattack - Dec 20, 2011 at 1:12 PM

• natstowngreg - Dec 20, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Something else at which Teddy fails miserably.

4. barroomhero80 - Dec 20, 2011 at 4:08 PM

double fail…the ballet and the name mookie….

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet