Dec 20, 2011, 11:34 AM EST
For reasons of personal and family history I’ve probably seen The Nutcracker a billion times, give or take. And now my daughter Mookie is a ballet dancer and she’s been in The Nutcracker for a couple of years in a row. It’s never gonna end. I could probably give a go to half of the parts in that thing and, even though I can’t dance, I could at least be in the right place at the right time because I know it so well. For better or for worse.
As a result of all of that, I have seen — and been generally uncomfortable with — the Mother Ginger bit in a good dozen permutations. I’ve never cared for it because almost all of those permutations involve a bunch of kids coming out from under a giant dress, typically worn by a dude in drag. Maybe I have issues, but it always comes off kind of creepy.
Still a couple months until spring training, guys. So sorry, you’re gonna see a lot of this kind of thing around here.
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 0
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 83
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 47
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 145
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)