Dec 20, 2011, 12:09 AM EST
Confirming what Richard Justice of MLB.com first relayed earlier tonight, John Finger and Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com have learned that Ed Wade will rejoin the Phillies as a member of their scouting department. Wait a minute, did he ever actually leave?
Wade previously served as general manager with the Phillies from 1998-2005 and even hired current GM Ruben Amaro, Jr as an assistant during his tenure. He was GM of the Astros for the last four seasons before being fired late last month as part of some housecleaning by the club’s new owner Jim Crane.
It’s fun to needle Wade due to his general body of work in Houston and constant dealings with the Phillies, but just because he was a subpar general manager doesn’t mean he’s a bad baseball man. The same could be said for former Mets GM Omar Minaya, who was recently hired as a senior VP of baseball operations with the Padres. Still, some chuckles are a perfectly acceptable response to this news.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 10
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 14
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 162
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (162)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)