Dec 20, 2011, 12:09 AM EDT
Confirming what Richard Justice of MLB.com first relayed earlier tonight, John Finger and Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com have learned that Ed Wade will rejoin the Phillies as a member of their scouting department. Wait a minute, did he ever actually leave?
Wade previously served as general manager with the Phillies from 1998-2005 and even hired current GM Ruben Amaro, Jr as an assistant during his tenure. He was GM of the Astros for the last four seasons before being fired late last month as part of some housecleaning by the club’s new owner Jim Crane.
It’s fun to needle Wade due to his general body of work in Houston and constant dealings with the Phillies, but just because he was a subpar general manager doesn’t mean he’s a bad baseball man. The same could be said for former Mets GM Omar Minaya, who was recently hired as a senior VP of baseball operations with the Padres. Still, some chuckles are a perfectly acceptable response to this news.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (84)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming