Dec 20, 2011, 12:09 AM EDT
Confirming what Richard Justice of MLB.com first relayed earlier tonight, John Finger and Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com have learned that Ed Wade will rejoin the Phillies as a member of their scouting department. Wait a minute, did he ever actually leave?
Wade previously served as general manager with the Phillies from 1998-2005 and even hired current GM Ruben Amaro, Jr as an assistant during his tenure. He was GM of the Astros for the last four seasons before being fired late last month as part of some housecleaning by the club’s new owner Jim Crane.
It’s fun to needle Wade due to his general body of work in Houston and constant dealings with the Phillies, but just because he was a subpar general manager doesn’t mean he’s a bad baseball man. The same could be said for former Mets GM Omar Minaya, who was recently hired as a senior VP of baseball operations with the Padres. Still, some chuckles are a perfectly acceptable response to this news.
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 18
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 100
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 73
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 27
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (100)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)