Dec 20, 2011, 12:09 AM EST
Confirming what Richard Justice of MLB.com first relayed earlier tonight, John Finger and Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com have learned that Ed Wade will rejoin the Phillies as a member of their scouting department. Wait a minute, did he ever actually leave?
Wade previously served as general manager with the Phillies from 1998-2005 and even hired current GM Ruben Amaro, Jr as an assistant during his tenure. He was GM of the Astros for the last four seasons before being fired late last month as part of some housecleaning by the club’s new owner Jim Crane.
It’s fun to needle Wade due to his general body of work in Houston and constant dealings with the Phillies, but just because he was a subpar general manager doesn’t mean he’s a bad baseball man. The same could be said for former Mets GM Omar Minaya, who was recently hired as a senior VP of baseball operations with the Padres. Still, some chuckles are a perfectly acceptable response to this news.
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 0
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 34
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 61
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15