Dec 20, 2011, 12:09 AM EDT
Confirming what Richard Justice of MLB.com first relayed earlier tonight, John Finger and Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com have learned that Ed Wade will rejoin the Phillies as a member of their scouting department. Wait a minute, did he ever actually leave?
Wade previously served as general manager with the Phillies from 1998-2005 and even hired current GM Ruben Amaro, Jr as an assistant during his tenure. He was GM of the Astros for the last four seasons before being fired late last month as part of some housecleaning by the club’s new owner Jim Crane.
It’s fun to needle Wade due to his general body of work in Houston and constant dealings with the Phillies, but just because he was a subpar general manager doesn’t mean he’s a bad baseball man. The same could be said for former Mets GM Omar Minaya, who was recently hired as a senior VP of baseball operations with the Padres. Still, some chuckles are a perfectly acceptable response to this news.
- The Lester trade is a win-win 0
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 78
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 35
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (115)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)