Dec 20, 2011, 12:48 PM EDT
Rubin notes that the two teams have had talks regarding Jon Niese, but indicates that the Young discussions may be unrelated and quotes a source as saying that the Mets may be able to get him for second baseman Justin Turner.
Young has very little power and hasn’t hit in the majors yet, but the 27-year-old switch-hitter batted .309 with a .399 on-base percentage and 85 steals in 210 games at Triple-A. It’s unclear where he fits defensively long term, but if things break right for Young he profiles as a potential leadoff man with solid on-base skills and 50-steal speed.
Turner, who was claimed off waivers from the Orioles in May of 2010, hit .260 with four homers and a .690 OPS in 117 games for the Mets while seeing action at second base and third base.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)