Dec 20, 2011, 12:48 PM EST
Rubin notes that the two teams have had talks regarding Jon Niese, but indicates that the Young discussions may be unrelated and quotes a source as saying that the Mets may be able to get him for second baseman Justin Turner.
Young has very little power and hasn’t hit in the majors yet, but the 27-year-old switch-hitter batted .309 with a .399 on-base percentage and 85 steals in 210 games at Triple-A. It’s unclear where he fits defensively long term, but if things break right for Young he profiles as a potential leadoff man with solid on-base skills and 50-steal speed.
Turner, who was claimed off waivers from the Orioles in May of 2010, hit .260 with four homers and a .690 OPS in 117 games for the Mets while seeing action at second base and third base.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 69
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 122
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)