Dec 20, 2011, 9:33 PM EST
The Rangers may end up spending over $120 million in order to sign right-hander Yu Darvish, but that isn’t going to stop their efforts to lock up some of their core players.
According to Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com, the Rangers have had “several conversations” with Mike Napoli‘s representatives about a multi-year contract. He earned $5.8 million in 2011 and is arbitration-eligible for the final time this winter.
Napoli, who was acquired from the Blue Jays last January, batted .320/.414/.631 with 30 home runs, 75 RBI and a 1.046 OPS over 432 plate appearances this past season. The 30-year-old was also a monster during the postseason, hitting .328 with a .414 on-base percentage, three home runs and 15 RBI.
It will likely cost a pretty penny to keep Napoli around for the long-term following his breakthrough season, but Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com wrote this evening that “there’s a very good chance” he’ll have an extension by Opening Day based on what he’s heard this offseason.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 38
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 154
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (155)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)