Dec 20, 2011, 9:33 PM EST
The Rangers may end up spending over $120 million in order to sign right-hander Yu Darvish, but that isn’t going to stop their efforts to lock up some of their core players.
According to Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com, the Rangers have had “several conversations” with Mike Napoli‘s representatives about a multi-year contract. He earned $5.8 million in 2011 and is arbitration-eligible for the final time this winter.
Napoli, who was acquired from the Blue Jays last January, batted .320/.414/.631 with 30 home runs, 75 RBI and a 1.046 OPS over 432 plate appearances this past season. The 30-year-old was also a monster during the postseason, hitting .328 with a .414 on-base percentage, three home runs and 15 RBI.
It will likely cost a pretty penny to keep Napoli around for the long-term following his breakthrough season, but Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com wrote this evening that “there’s a very good chance” he’ll have an extension by Opening Day based on what he’s heard this offseason.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 83
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 47
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 33
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 145
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)