Dec 20, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
Blake missed most of the season with a pinched nerve in his neck that required surgery and talked about possibly being forced to retire, but he’ll give it another go at age 38 while earning $2 million upfront and another $1 million in potential incentives.
If healthy Blake will get a chance to win the starting job at third base and basically keep the position warm while top prospect Nolan Arenado gets more seasoning in the minors. Colorado traded former starting third baseman Ian Stewart to the Cubs last week.
Blake was only healthy enough to play 63 games for the Dodgers, hitting .252 with four homers and a .712 OPS. He had similarly modest numbers in 2010, hitting .248 with 17 homers and a .727 OPS in 146 games.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)