Dec 20, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
Blake missed most of the season with a pinched nerve in his neck that required surgery and talked about possibly being forced to retire, but he’ll give it another go at age 38 while earning $2 million upfront and another $1 million in potential incentives.
If healthy Blake will get a chance to win the starting job at third base and basically keep the position warm while top prospect Nolan Arenado gets more seasoning in the minors. Colorado traded former starting third baseman Ian Stewart to the Cubs last week.
Blake was only healthy enough to play 63 games for the Dodgers, hitting .252 with four homers and a .712 OPS. He had similarly modest numbers in 2010, hitting .248 with 17 homers and a .727 OPS in 146 games.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 65
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 46
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)