Dec 20, 2011, 5:30 PM EST
Blake missed most of the season with a pinched nerve in his neck that required surgery and talked about possibly being forced to retire, but he’ll give it another go at age 38 while earning $2 million upfront and another $1 million in potential incentives.
If healthy Blake will get a chance to win the starting job at third base and basically keep the position warm while top prospect Nolan Arenado gets more seasoning in the minors. Colorado traded former starting third baseman Ian Stewart to the Cubs last week.
Blake was only healthy enough to play 63 games for the Dodgers, hitting .252 with four homers and a .712 OPS. He had similarly modest numbers in 2010, hitting .248 with 17 homers and a .727 OPS in 146 games.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 20
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 45
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)