Roy Oswalt will take a one-year deal

Dec 20, 2011, 1:39 PM EST

Roy Oswalt Reuters

Two weeks ago it was reported that Roy Oswalt wanted a three-year deal. Crickets.  Now Jerry Crasnick says that Oswalt is seeking a one-year deal.  And as many as six teams are interested, he says.

No surprise there. Teams are probably concerned about a long term commitment to a guy who had back trouble last year but are more than cool to accept the high-reward possibilities of Oswalt on a one-year deal.  And for his part, he probably wants to show everyone his back is cool and then hit the market again after a great season. He hopes.

Can anyone not see the Yankees getting in on that? The Red Sox? A whole bunch of teams, really.

1. uyf1950 - Dec 20, 2011 at 1:54 PM

I most assuredly can see the Yankees in on this for 1 year. That would be perfect for them.

The Red Sox and Phillies I’m not so sure about. Signing him even for 1 year would put both teams over the luxury tax threshold with not even their 25 man roster completed. As we all know the tax is based on a teams 40 man roster including signing bonuses and incentives. Both teams seem uncomfortable exceeding at least by more then just a little bit.

But I’m sure there will be several other teams and who knows may be even the 2 I’m discounting above on a 1 year basis.

• phukyouk - Dec 20, 2011 at 2:02 PM

1 year for how much? does he want $15 Mil or $6 Mil or $10 with incentives to get it up to $15? i think THAT will be the determining factor if the Yanks grab him or not

• uyf1950 - Dec 20, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Obviously that’s a question only he can answer. But my guess is he would probably be looking for $10 to $12MM guaranteed and some incentives included. I think for that amount of money and just the 1 year contract the Yankees certainly would be interested.

BTW, just like I think for a 1 year deal the Yankees are still interested in Kuroda at about $12MM +/-.

If it were me Kuroda would be my 1st choice but I certainly would have Oswalt as a strong “Plan B”. If they don’t have eyes or plans already in the works for a trade.

• phukyouk - Dec 20, 2011 at 2:31 PM

sorry… my question was more rhetorical than anything else. I’m Just saying. if he wants $15 Mil guaranteed they should tell him where he can go. i know its just money and everyone will throw in the whole Aj, Iguana , Pavano and so on but the point is that for anything more than 10-12 Guaranteed he isn’t worth the risk. i have no problem with it getting up to 15-17 mil with incentives but as a base he is not worth more than 12 in his current state

• uyf1950 - Dec 20, 2011 at 2:37 PM

phukyouk, you won’t get any argument from me on what he should be guaranteed. It think those numbers are fair.

2. spudchukar - Dec 20, 2011 at 2:02 PM

If the Cards would pony up the cash for both Oswalt and Beltran it would go a long ways in making reparations. Oswalt and Berkman are buddies. It is true that the Cards have 5 starters already, and possible trade candidates Lohse and Westbrook have no-trade clauses, but since they are only 5-inning pitchers anyway, a move to the pen by one of them seems reasonable.

• stex52 - Dec 20, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Reference earlier comments. There is no such thing as too much starting pitching in the MLB.

With injuries, he still got 139 innings in last year. I look for him to have a resurgence this year, even if questionable for beyond that.

Oswalt and Beltran can probably had for one year for less than Pujols would have cost. To me the team is stronger than last year’s, now that Wainwright is back.

Probably can’t happen so neatly, but if I was the Cards it looks good to me.

3. SmackSaw - Dec 20, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Yankees, Rangers, Cardinals, Rockies, Jays, Cubs

• b7p19 - Dec 20, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Nationals for sure if they don’t get Gio. Marlins?

• natstowngreg - Dec 20, 2011 at 2:13 PM

You can safely associate the Marlins with almost every free agent.

If the Gio thing doesn’t work out, I wouldn’t mind seeing the Nats take the risk on Oswalt.

• uyf1950 - Dec 20, 2011 at 2:16 PM

natstowngreg – At least with Oswalt for 1 year they probably won’t have to guarantee him a NO Trade Clause in his contract.

• SmackSaw - Dec 20, 2011 at 2:17 PM

D-Backs would match up as well

• cintiphil - Dec 20, 2011 at 2:27 PM

uyf1950:

No trade clause for Oswalt? he will be lucky to get the one year deal he is looking for. I predict that if signed, he will not last the entire season as a starting pitcher. Too many injuries.

• uyf1950 - Dec 20, 2011 at 3:02 PM

cintiphil – I was kidding my friend. I just posted that because during the winter meetings it seemed like the biggest hold up in the Marlins signing signing Pujols was they don’t offer players any player a NO TRADE CLAUSE. Again that my attempt at humor.

• natstowngreg - Dec 20, 2011 at 4:20 PM

For Oswalt, a one-year deal makes sense. He needs to prove he can still pitch at a high level for an entire season. Given the starting pitching market, he should get a ton of incentives, plus maybe a 2013 option.

• cowhawkfan - Dec 20, 2011 at 5:28 PM

For a one year deal, I’d be very surprised if the Rangers don’t sign him. They have a history of taking chances with players coming back from injury. Most times, it doesn’t work for them, but every once in a while they hit pay dirt.

• cowhawkfan - Dec 20, 2011 at 5:32 PM

I typed the above moments before I heard the Rangers won the bidding for the Japanense pitcher. Wow!! Not surprised since I thought they would bid aggressively, but mildly surprised because I had heard reports Toronto won. Obviously, this affects what there interest in Oswalt would be. If they want to give Darvish time so acclimate by starting in Triple A, then they may have interest in a one year deal witih Oswalt. If they can get Darvish into training camp and see how he looks, they wont be interested..

4. El Bravo - Dec 20, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Ham Fighters may need a new SP, I hear.

• b7p19 - Dec 20, 2011 at 2:24 PM

I would think someone like Joe Blanton or Sidney Ponson would fit their needs a little better though right?

• El Bravo - Dec 20, 2011 at 2:30 PM

I keeeeeeeeeeeeeeed

• bleedgreen - Dec 20, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Maybe we can package Joe Blanton and Mike Zagurski for them.

5. cintiphil - Dec 20, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Too much money already taken by the “early’ signers. Some teams may still have plans for Prince, so there is little money left for guys like Beltran & Oswalt. I don’t think anyone will put up too much for a guy with Oswalt’s health issues. Beltran will sign sooner than him.

• Ari Collins - Dec 20, 2011 at 2:33 PM

I think it’s the other way around. There are more teams that want help than there are good free agents. Usually there’s a flurry of overpaying (Papelbon, for instance), followed by the saner market prices, then the desperate last-minute shoppers start overpaying again.

Everyone could use Oswalt on a one-year deal. Someone will pay him well next year.

• spudchukar - Dec 20, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Well, St. Louis certainly has some extra cash laying around.

6. siftin thru nonsense - Dec 20, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Oswalt didnt really fit in in Philly in my opinion. He is kind of boring and keeps to himself. Doesnt seem like a lot of fun to hang out with.. and that’s okay, but I wasnt really saddened to see him go in order for the Phils to have more loot. He’s a good pitcher, but at this point in his career, with his bad back, I dont know. I wouldnt pay him a lot. The Phillies will be fine without him. Time for him to join an AL team.

• bleedgreen - Dec 20, 2011 at 3:55 PM

He was boring? He was a jokester in the clubhouse. Did you see him photobomb Dubee? Or him mocking Sammy Sosa?

7. yournuts - Dec 20, 2011 at 3:34 PM

As a Yankee fan I would be happy if the Yanks would not be interested in Roy Oswalt. We don’t need him and I would like to see the young studs start making their way up.

• pisano - Dec 20, 2011 at 4:35 PM

To expound on your post, I’d rather see Boston take a chance on his back rather than the Yankees.

• Ari Collins - Dec 20, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Sox need him more than the Yankees, who might not have a #2 but have an actual back of the rotation.

8. Ari Collins - Dec 20, 2011 at 5:34 PM

I’d like my Sox to give him something like $5MM with IP incentives that can bring it up to $15MM and/or trigger a 2nd-year option.

• Ari Collins - Dec 20, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Or something like the Beltre make-good deal, where a 2nd-year player option increases in value based on playing time.

9. crankyfrankie - Dec 20, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Love to see him back in Philadelphia. Always liked him and think he is a good addition to whatever team he ends up with.

10. cleverbob - Dec 21, 2011 at 8:21 AM

Wish there was a spot for him in Philly, but you just can’t depend on him for a full season. He might be able to push for a 1 year deal with a second year option at best.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester