The Rays have inquired about Anthony Rizzo

Dec 20, 2011, 9:33 AM EDT

Anthony Rizzo AP

Now that the Padres have Yonder Alonso in the fold, they have one-too-many first base prospects about whose future I’m dubious.  Probably need to trade one.  There have been some alleged talks with the Cubs — alleged because Jed Hoyer has shot them down as fiction — but now we have a report that the Tampa Bay Rays have come a-knockin’.

And why not? My dubiousness notwithstanding, young, cheap and promising is pretty much the prototypical Rays player. Rizzo hit .296/.366/.514 in 1629 minor league plate appearances, so his poor major league showing thus far is not yet too big a concern.  Certainly worth a shot on a team that doesn’t hesitate to play kids.

1. bigtrav425 - Dec 20, 2011 at 9:59 AM

thinking my tribe should take a look….I still can’t believe how fleeced the reds got in that trade!…reminds me of how bad my tribe got fleeced in the cliff lee and sabathia trades

2. b7p19 - Dec 20, 2011 at 10:18 AM

I like it. Get me some of that sweet, sweet Rays farm system.

• Ari Collins - Dec 20, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Probably more likely they trade one of their starters.

Either way, seems like a pretty good match to me.

• robco92 - Dec 20, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Yeah it would be nice if they could go after a SS, the Rays have a few.

• spudchukar - Dec 20, 2011 at 5:28 PM

The one they got came from the Rays.

3. cjpunk15 - Dec 20, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Alonso and the catcher we received from the Reds (drawing a blank on his name at the moment) for David Price. Thats my christmas wish!

• crashdog - Dec 20, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Yeah, cuz the Rays wouldn’t give up Shields for Alonso and a handful of prospects. But they will give up Price? At least you said it was a wish

• hammyofdoom - Dec 20, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Just curious, why Price instead of James Shields?

• Ari Collins - Dec 20, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Might get you Shields. Weird to essentially trade Latos for the more-expensive Shields, though. Even if I think Shields is a lot better.

• b7p19 - Dec 20, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Weird and not going to happen. Byrnes knows he’s not winning for 2 years. He’s not stupid enough to think an already established starter like Sheilds or Garza is a great idea right now (of course the Street move kind of hurst my argument). Middle infield prospects would be fantastic, you know, since they can’t seem to find one themselves. He’s also smart enough, i hope, to trade Headley. He was one of the top 3B in the NL last year (not saying much, i know), so sell high while he’s still controled and give the position to Gyorko.

4. hep3 - Dec 20, 2011 at 12:05 PM

How about the odd man out, Wade Davis, for the other odd man out Rizzo?

5. snowbirdgothic - Dec 20, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Mr. Rizzo will be happy to learn that downtown Durham is undergoing a fantastic revitalization.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3257)