Dec 20, 2011, 9:33 AM EDT
Now that the Padres have Yonder Alonso in the fold, they have one-too-many first base prospects about whose future I’m dubious. Probably need to trade one. There have been some alleged talks with the Cubs — alleged because Jed Hoyer has shot them down as fiction — but now we have a report that the Tampa Bay Rays have come a-knockin’.
And why not? My dubiousness notwithstanding, young, cheap and promising is pretty much the prototypical Rays player. Rizzo hit .296/.366/.514 in 1629 minor league plate appearances, so his poor major league showing thus far is not yet too big a concern. Certainly worth a shot on a team that doesn’t hesitate to play kids.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)