Dec 20, 2011, 9:33 AM EDT
Now that the Padres have Yonder Alonso in the fold, they have one-too-many first base prospects about whose future I’m dubious. Probably need to trade one. There have been some alleged talks with the Cubs — alleged because Jed Hoyer has shot them down as fiction — but now we have a report that the Tampa Bay Rays have come a-knockin’.
And why not? My dubiousness notwithstanding, young, cheap and promising is pretty much the prototypical Rays player. Rizzo hit .296/.366/.514 in 1629 minor league plate appearances, so his poor major league showing thus far is not yet too big a concern. Certainly worth a shot on a team that doesn’t hesitate to play kids.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 8
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 36
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)