Dec 21, 2011, 1:20 PM EST
Milwaukee replaced Yuniesky Betancourt with Alex Gonzalez at shortstop and the Brewers have added some more middle infield depth by signing Cesar Izturis to a minor-league deal, according to Jon Morosi of FOXSports.com.
Izturis lost his starting job when the Orioles traded for J.J. Hardy last offseason and missed all but 18 games with injuries in 2011.
Even when healthy Izturis has always been among the worst hitters in baseball and at age 32 his defense may no longer be great enough to make up for the poor bat, but he certainly makes plenty of sense as a no-risk, low-cost pickup.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 26
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 29
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)