Dec 21, 2011, 1:20 PM EST
Milwaukee replaced Yuniesky Betancourt with Alex Gonzalez at shortstop and the Brewers have added some more middle infield depth by signing Cesar Izturis to a minor-league deal, according to Jon Morosi of FOXSports.com.
Izturis lost his starting job when the Orioles traded for J.J. Hardy last offseason and missed all but 18 games with injuries in 2011.
Even when healthy Izturis has always been among the worst hitters in baseball and at age 32 his defense may no longer be great enough to make up for the poor bat, but he certainly makes plenty of sense as a no-risk, low-cost pickup.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (109)