Ex-manager Edwin Rodriguez says Marlins will “have a tough time” moving Hanley Ramirez to third base

Dec 21, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT

hanley-ramirez-edwin-rodriguez

Edwin Rodriguez, who was fired as Marlins manager in part because of his poor relationship with Hanley Ramirez, appeared on MLB Network Radio today and was asked about the team’s plan to move the career-long shortstop to third base following the Jose Reyes signing.

Not surprisingly, Rodriguez thinks it may not go over particularly well with Ramirez:

I think it’s going to be a very interesting situation, to say the least. Knowing Hanley. He’s a very proud player. It’s going to be very hard for him to move out of shortstop. He’s a big league shortstop. He’s an All-Star shortstop. In my opinion, they’re going to have a tough time trying to convince him to move to third base.

Rodriguez opined that the Marlins would have been better off “put[ting[ the money into another player, like Albert Pujols or a front line pitcher.” Of course, they did sign Mark Buehrle, also tried to sign C.J. Wilson, and were turned down by Pujols after already signing Reyes.

1. protius - Dec 21, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Trade the punk to the Mariners for a loaf of bread, and a salmon steak; that’s all the little jerk is worth.

• Kyle - Dec 21, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Done deal!

• bobwsc - Dec 21, 2011 at 12:55 PM

“little jerk?” were you just watching Home Alone?

• cintiphil - Dec 21, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Yes, you have very good computer skills, what is it that you are trying to say? At least try to give us an argument.

2. hasbeen5 - Dec 21, 2011 at 12:22 PM

I don’t understand why this is such a big deal. Tell him he plays 3rd or he doesn’t play. If he decides he’d rather sit, then couldn’t they decide not to pay him? I mean, if my boss said “hey we’re moving you to that other office over there” and I said “I don’t think so, this is my turf,” then I wouldn’t have a job for very long. I’d be willing to bet that his contract says something like “we’ll pay you a lot of money to play baseball,” not “we’ll pay you a lot of money to play shortstop.”

• mox19380 - Dec 21, 2011 at 1:49 PM

the problem is when you enable a player and call him the future of your franchise and build around him then you tell him, “well you are the face of our franchise and we paid you big bucks BUT we don’t think you’re the best option at a position”; you’ve essentially put yourself in a corner.

You’ve created the monster (even hired and fired coaches just to appease him) now you have to deal with the ego you’ve spent the last five years building up

3. Jonny 5 - Dec 21, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Whoa!!! This is a quote from a manager who had issues with Hanley, last season. I think I’ll wait until Hanley says he’s not moving before I call him a dip shit, not a minute before.

4. stackers1 - Dec 21, 2011 at 12:51 PM

A-Rod made the move to 3rd. Does Hanley was the distinction of being more selfish than A-Rod?

• foreverchipper10 - Dec 21, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Ooooh burrrrn.

5. Old Gator - Dec 21, 2011 at 2:15 PM

This is the same Flat Eddie who presided over the worst statistical month in Feesh team history. And of course it was all Hanley’s fault.

6. evanwins - Dec 21, 2011 at 3:28 PM

I’m not defending Hanley when I say that this move was poorly thought out by the team.

Marlins to Hanley: You are the future of this team, the face of the entire franchise. (translation “you are the most important part of this team”

Marlins to Reyes: We are signing you to a long term contract to be our shortstop now and for the next several years.

Marlins to Hanley: you have to vacate your position and learn an entirely new position because we signed this other guy.

Now tell me that wouldn’t confuse you if you were in his shoes. And make no mistake about it, this is a demotion. Haley’s not a jerk or a baby, he’s a human and he, somewhat rightfully, feels disrespected and probably a little bit like he was lied to.

Imagine if your boss put you in charge of something and told you that you were going to be in that position for years to come, you did your job well in that position and he publicly praised you. Then next year he brought in someone else to do that job and gave you a lessor job, one that you had never done before and weren’t familiar with. You would bitch too.

7. kpow55 - Dec 21, 2011 at 4:59 PM

I understand the reluctance if he is worried about his next payday. SS is currently a better paying position than 3B. Maybe time to investigate a trade to NYM for D. Wright .

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet