Ex-manager Edwin Rodriguez says Marlins will “have a tough time” moving Hanley Ramirez to third base
Dec 21, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
Edwin Rodriguez, who was fired as Marlins manager in part because of his poor relationship with Hanley Ramirez, appeared on MLB Network Radio today and was asked about the team’s plan to move the career-long shortstop to third base following the Jose Reyes signing.
Not surprisingly, Rodriguez thinks it may not go over particularly well with Ramirez:
I think it’s going to be a very interesting situation, to say the least. Knowing Hanley. He’s a very proud player. It’s going to be very hard for him to move out of shortstop. He’s a big league shortstop. He’s an All-Star shortstop. In my opinion, they’re going to have a tough time trying to convince him to move to third base.
Rodriguez opined that the Marlins would have been better off “put[ting[ the money into another player, like Albert Pujols or a front line pitcher.” Of course, they did sign Mark Buehrle, also tried to sign C.J. Wilson, and were turned down by Pujols after already signing Reyes.
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” ligament 4
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 11
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 124
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (124)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)