Ex-manager Edwin Rodriguez says Marlins will “have a tough time” moving Hanley Ramirez to third base
Dec 21, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
Edwin Rodriguez, who was fired as Marlins manager in part because of his poor relationship with Hanley Ramirez, appeared on MLB Network Radio today and was asked about the team’s plan to move the career-long shortstop to third base following the Jose Reyes signing.
Not surprisingly, Rodriguez thinks it may not go over particularly well with Ramirez:
I think it’s going to be a very interesting situation, to say the least. Knowing Hanley. He’s a very proud player. It’s going to be very hard for him to move out of shortstop. He’s a big league shortstop. He’s an All-Star shortstop. In my opinion, they’re going to have a tough time trying to convince him to move to third base.
Rodriguez opined that the Marlins would have been better off “put[ting[ the money into another player, like Albert Pujols or a front line pitcher.” Of course, they did sign Mark Buehrle, also tried to sign C.J. Wilson, and were turned down by Pujols after already signing Reyes.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (233)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)