Dec 21, 2011, 6:29 PM EDT
Even though Ryan Madson, Francisco Cordero and Brad Lidge remain available in free agency, much of the recent closer talk has been regarding trade possibilities. Now perhaps Brandon League can be added to the list of available closers that includes Andrew Bailey and maybe Joel Hanrahan.
According to FOXSports.com, the Mariners are getting hits on League and may choose to move him closer to spring training. Such a move could hinge on the Mariners’ pursuit of Prince Fielder; if the Mariners land Fielder, they may prefer to keep League and make the club as competitive as possible. If not, then there’s really no sense of having a $5 million closer on a 65-win team.
FOXSports reports that the Dodgers are one of the teams that have asked about League, though they’re not believed to have serious interest.
League will be eligible for free agency for the first time after next season. He had a 2.79 ERA and was 37-for-42 saving games for Seattle in 2011, his first year as a closer. He won nine games and finished with a 3.42 ERA in 79 innings in 2010.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)