Prince Fielder to the Orioles “just isn’t going to happen”

Dec 21, 2011, 12:16 PM EST

Prince Fielder Reuters

Baltimore has been linked to Prince Fielder at various points this offseason, but locally their odds of actually signing the free agent slugger are perceived as very slim.

Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun writes that “the Orioles aren’t going to give eight or more years or $18 or more million per year to a Fielder” and adds “just isn’t going to happen.”

If his demands drop considerably that could certainly change, but Connolly says several team sources he’s spoken to recently indicated that the Orioles aren’t even strongly pursuing Fielder.

Instead he expects the Orioles to spend on pitching, and perhaps fellow Scott Boras client Edwin Jackson.

1. jrob1020 - Dec 21, 2011 at 12:32 PM

The Orioles need to sign someone that will make the fans show interest in them again. I won’t spend money on the team until they do! Get Prince!!!!!!

• gtisme - Dec 21, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Why not offer the same deal we offered to a certain B’more Native A-hole who is now the Yankees First Baseman? Whats the problem? The team is better than what it was then so why not at least make the offer? If we are still offering the monopoly money then so be it, at least we made the attempt. You need a Superstar to really win some games and we just dont have any right now. But we do have some nice supporting pieces.

2. stinkfist5 - Dec 21, 2011 at 12:50 PM

I’d rather see them get Rizzo from the Padres and watch him grow up in front of our eyes. Then with all the extra dough they have sitting around, buy an ace!

• JBerardi - Dec 21, 2011 at 12:58 PM

How exactly are they going to get Rizzo? What would they have that the Padres would want?

• stinkfist5 - Dec 21, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Josh Bell, Tillman, Matusz, Arrieta, Brandon Snyder, Xavier Avery. You aren’t an expert, don’t try to play one.

3. randomdigits - Dec 21, 2011 at 12:54 PM

The only person saying that Baltimore had a chance is at prince is noted Boras shill, I mean, reporter, Jon Heyman.

4. jrob1020 - Dec 21, 2011 at 1:54 PM

They will Never pay for an ace while Angelos owns the team

5. foreverchipper10 - Dec 21, 2011 at 2:20 PM

I can’t believe he is still unsigned. This is getting silly.

6. boh930 - Dec 21, 2011 at 2:22 PM

As an Orioles fan, I don’t even know why I come to HBT and get excited to see an O’s headline. By the end of the article all I can do is wonder how my friends will react the first time I wear my Bryce Harper or Strasburg jersey in public. Dear HBT, please substitute all incoming Orioles news with pictures of kittens or sunsets, and let us live blissful in our ignorance.

• tomtravis76 - Dec 21, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Its tough year after year to even care anymore about the franchise. I can’t even go back to that park anymore. I am with you, its time to follow the Nats. Always will be an O’s fan, but watching or spending any money with them allows Angelos to continue his reign of terror over the Orioles. Three winning seasons during his ownership.

These owners who hold a city’s professional sports team hostage should be thrown out of ownership by the commish of the leagues. There should be rules in place, as these teams mean more to the city than the owner who temporarily holds the keys.Its not like the Orioles were always a doormat, they were a team that would be in contention for titles not so long ago.

Do something about this Bud Selig. Owners need to be held accountable for the franchise they own. In the best interest of the game, ge owners who are willing to compete not just take the money other teams make or steal from the fans.

7. bmoreballers - Dec 21, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Well this just ruined my Christmas. Way to be a grinch gleeman

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5818)
  2. M. Kemp (3256)
  3. J. Kang (3216)
  4. C. McGehee (3088)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (3056)
  1. J. Upton (2995)