Dec 21, 2011, 12:40 AM EDT
UPDATE: Belisario is expected to report to spring training on time after securing his visa, but he won’t be on the Dodgers’ Opening Day roster. According to Dylan Hernandez and Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times, he must serve a 25-game suspension for violating MLB’s drug policy.
No word on the exact nature of the offense, but Belisario did miss more than a month during the 2010 season in order to receive treatment for a substance-abuse problem.
7:30 PM ET: Ronald Belisario spent the entire 2011 season on the Dodgers’ restricted list after failing to secure a visa in his native Venezuela, but we learned earlier this month that he was working with government officials to get clearance to return to the United States. Those efforts have proved successful.
Rick Oliver, Belisario’s agent, told Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times today that his client was granted a visa and is expected to be in camp for the start of spring training.
Belisario, who turns 29 later this month, posted a surprising 2.04 ERA and 64/29 K/BB ratio over 70 2/3 innings as a rookie back in 2009, but he’s dealt with personal issues ever since. He had trouble securing a visa before spring training in 2010 due to a DUI charge and missed two months during the season in order to receive treatment for a substance-abuse problem. He ended up finishing his sophomore campaign with a disappointing 5.04 ERA over 59 appearances.
While it looks like the Dodgers will have another option for their bullpen during spring training, Belisario’s numbers in the Venezuelan Winter League don’t inspire much confidence. He currently has a 4.09 ERA, five saves and an ugly 21/15 K/BB ratio over 22 innings with Bravos de Margarita.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)