The Red Sox and “several other teams” have expressed interest in Andruw Jones

Dec 21, 2011, 9:18 AM EDT

Andruw Jones Getty Images

Mark Feinsand says that, despite the fact that everyone assumed Andruw Jones would be back with the Yankees in 2012, talks have sort of been going nowhere and now other teams — including the Boston Red Sox — are calling on Jones.

And why not? Jones hit .247/.356/.495 with 13 homers and 33 RBI in 222 plate appearances, and he beat up on lefties like they owed him money. In a league full of bench bats that can’t do a ton, that has some real value.

In other news, can someone explain to me why the Yankees are doing next to nothing this winter?

1. drmonkeyarmy - Dec 21, 2011 at 9:24 AM

They are lulling everybody into a false sense of security before they offer Nova, one of those prized pitching prospects, and Montero for Hamels.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 21, 2011 at 9:37 AM

For one year of cost control, no way.

• phukyouk - Dec 21, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Can i have some crack too?

• drmonkeyarmy - Dec 21, 2011 at 10:15 AM

No, crack is a tool of the devil.

• deadeyedesign23 - Dec 21, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Soooo you want to offer 2 worse pitchers and a DH hitter to a NL team that is packed to the rafters with pitching.

• drmonkeyarmy - Dec 21, 2011 at 10:28 AM

I don’t want to offer anything. Cole Hamels is my favorite pitcher and I hope he signs a long term extension this winter.

2. proudlycanadian - Dec 21, 2011 at 9:39 AM

If you want to resign with the Yankees, leaking the news that the Red Sox are interested in you is probably a good tactic.

3. yankeesfanlen - Dec 21, 2011 at 9:52 AM

I put some credence in reports that Cashman is lulling everyone into thinking the Universe is just going to re-sign everyone and be complacent.
    I think Andruw Jones will be back, but something big is going to happen in the next 30 days.
    Santa has a BLUE and white cap thi year.

• proudlycanadian - Dec 21, 2011 at 10:28 AM

As long as he leaves Arod alone.

4. wolfwrack - Dec 21, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Santa wears red and white for a reason!

• RickyB - Dec 21, 2011 at 10:43 AM

And that reason ain’t baseball …

5. skeleteeth - Dec 21, 2011 at 10:29 AM

No thanks.

6. purnellmeagrejr - Dec 21, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Cespedes, is my guess.

• Alex K - Dec 21, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Who would they put on the bench or trade to make room for him? It’s not like there are open spots for position players on the Yankees team.

• purnellmeagrejr - Dec 21, 2011 at 11:41 AM

if Cespedes is as good as advertised I don’t think anybody would even remember Bret Gardner is on the team (except when they need him to pinch run or play late inning defense.) Besides – the Yankees don’t worry too much about stuff like that.

• Kevin S. - Dec 21, 2011 at 3:51 PM

No, Gardner would stay – Cashman’s trying to keep the team under $189 million in 2014. My guess is Swisher gets dealt for short-term pitching help.

7. psousa1 - Dec 21, 2011 at 10:55 AM

What do the Yankees need – offense? No. Depth at starting pitching? Yes. But so does every team except maybe the Phillies and that is their bread and butter and they’re not going to deal any of them.

• deathmonkey41 - Dec 21, 2011 at 1:13 PM

You do remember that the Yankees bats were silenced during the playoffs against the Tigers, right? I don’t think their offense is as good as everyone thinks it is. Letting Posada go and replacing him with Montero should pay dividends, but Jorge was not the only aging bat that could only hit singles or ground out.

• Kevin S. - Dec 21, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Silenced? Yanks scored 5.6 runs per game. Bad sequencing doomed the Yanks last October, not (overall) poor play.

8. kiawah26 - Dec 21, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Yanks will never make that move. Nova’s a bonafide #2 for years to come and Montero’s a stud. King Felix maybe. Hamels, no way.

• genericcommenter - Dec 21, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Nova a bonafide #4 or 5, and they have a few of those. Not saying I would trade him, but the Yankees pretty much have a number 1 and a bunch of 5s.

9. tommyfroy - Dec 21, 2011 at 11:28 AM

The yankees have done nothing because they need next to nothing. Starting field positions are filled top to bottom, Starting pitching? they have 5. Could the 5 be better? always! CC is a horse, Nova has pitched very well. Hughes should have a better season as long as he can stay healthy. Garcia did better than anyone expected last year. and then there’s AJ Burnett who’s only been ‘burn’ing the Yankees money. He has 2 years left for 33 million and has pitched above a 5 era for 2 consecutive seasons now. There’s no way to get trade him unless the Yankees eat the majority of the contract. I’m thinking they’d need to cover 23 million of the 33 million in order to move him and even that may not be enough. I don’t think they will do anything like that, but I’d be okay if they wrote him a 33 million dollar check and told him to hit the bricks.

10. thefalcon123 - Dec 21, 2011 at 1:44 PM

What’s really funny about Andruw Jones is that how he could have been so overrated and underrated at the same time. For years, I’d heard plenty of “Edmonds v. Jones: Who’s Better” arguments, saying they were both elite hitters and great fielders. Well, they are close, but not for that reason. Edmonds was a *much* better offensive player. Jones’ career high in OPS+ was 136…a mark Edmonds topped a whopping 7 times. His career OPS is 76 points higher, and at their peaks (top 5 seasons), Edmond’s topped it by 112 points. He tops Jones i oWar by 22.5 wins!

Conversely, they were seen as roughly equals on defense. I was reading a few years ago about some fan voting to rank the best defensive players at each position. In the outfield, Edmonds ranked 4th all time, Jones 5th. Umm….no. Edmonds was a good center fielder….Jones was one of the top center fielders of all time! Using BR dWAR, Jones tops Edmonds by 15(!) wins on defense over the course of their careers! And Edmonds ranks as a pretty damn good defensive player!

11. patsandsox - Dec 21, 2011 at 2:34 PM

I dont think the red sox want Jones. I cannot believe Yankees fans ragging on Nova, I thought he looked really good, better than Hughes. If you guys dont want him ship him north, lol.
    I think with CC, Nova, and Hughes thats a darn good top 3. If Burnett wasnt a headcase he has has the stuff (or at least he did in Toronto).

12. pisano - Dec 21, 2011 at 5:53 PM

I hope he signs with Boston, I was tired of him smiling every time he struck out, which was plenty of times. Bring Marcus Thames back, he’s not as good in the field, but he’s better with the bat.

• Kevin S. - Dec 21, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Andruw Jones may have a worse batting average than Thames over the past three seasons, but he beats him by fifteen points of OBP and twenty-five points in slugging. Against lefties (which is primarily how they’d be used) it’s even more of an edge for Andruw – forty points of OBP and nearly sixty points of slugging. And saying Marcus Thames is not as good in the field ridiculously understates the competence difference between the two players with the leather. Nothing against Marcus Thames at all, but given a choice between him and Jones, I’m taking the latter every single time.

• pisano - Dec 21, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Kevin….I understand the stats, but my point is if he signs with Boston or any other team I sure wouldn’t lose any sleep over him moving on. Thames was just a name that popped into my head as he was there before Jones, but I think the Yankees can do better than Jones.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto