Dec 21, 2011, 11:31 AM EDT
Gleeman and I spend a lot of time chatting during the day, and one of the few recurring topics of conversation that doesn’t involve Coen Brothers movies is the correlation between meaningful stories and stories that get a lot of traffic.
While we don’t set out to write about things that will make people click like crazy — we’re not compensated based on that, just so you know — over the past couple of years we’ve gotten pretty good at predicting what will play big and what won’t.
Sex obviously sells. Death, violence and absurd or obnoxious human behavior too. We’re a baseball blog so we can’t go all TMZ on you, but boy do you all seem to like it when baseball and sensationalism come together. Which is fine. We cover it all, so we’d write about that stuff and the straight baseball stuff anyway. It’s just interesting to see what plays.
And here’s what played in 2011. At least in terms of page views. No judgments here. And RIP Hideki Irabu:
- Hideki Irabu suicide;
- Mike Flanagan suicide. Sensing a pattern yet?;
- This random Power Rankings post. I have no idea why. I blame the Phillies truthers;
- Idiot who almost fell out of the stands during the Home Run Derby;
- The beer and fried chicken thing;
- Charlie Sheen bailing Lenny Dykstra out of jail.
- The Rangers drafting Jonathan Taylor, who is paralyzed;
- Whether the Cardinals were going to postpone Game 6 of the World Series. So: more weather for 2012, just so you know;
- Cameron Diaz “hurt and betrayed” by Alex Rodriguez. Gleeman went to journalism school, y’all, and I have a professional degree. We’re so proud; and finally
- Tony La Russa announces his retirement;
Surprisingly falling short of the top ten: Miguel Caberea’s crazy DUI arrest, the actual deaths — as opposed to near-deaths — of fans in Texas and Colorado and the fact that not a single one of my “Best Shape of His Life” stories made the cut. Shocking, really.
Well, there’s always next year!
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 0
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 15
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 13
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)