Dec 21, 2011, 11:31 AM EDT
Gleeman and I spend a lot of time chatting during the day, and one of the few recurring topics of conversation that doesn’t involve Coen Brothers movies is the correlation between meaningful stories and stories that get a lot of traffic.
While we don’t set out to write about things that will make people click like crazy — we’re not compensated based on that, just so you know — over the past couple of years we’ve gotten pretty good at predicting what will play big and what won’t.
Sex obviously sells. Death, violence and absurd or obnoxious human behavior too. We’re a baseball blog so we can’t go all TMZ on you, but boy do you all seem to like it when baseball and sensationalism come together. Which is fine. We cover it all, so we’d write about that stuff and the straight baseball stuff anyway. It’s just interesting to see what plays.
And here’s what played in 2011. At least in terms of page views. No judgments here. And RIP Hideki Irabu:
- Hideki Irabu suicide;
- Mike Flanagan suicide. Sensing a pattern yet?;
- This random Power Rankings post. I have no idea why. I blame the Phillies truthers;
- Idiot who almost fell out of the stands during the Home Run Derby;
- The beer and fried chicken thing;
- Charlie Sheen bailing Lenny Dykstra out of jail.
- The Rangers drafting Jonathan Taylor, who is paralyzed;
- Whether the Cardinals were going to postpone Game 6 of the World Series. So: more weather for 2012, just so you know;
- Cameron Diaz “hurt and betrayed” by Alex Rodriguez. Gleeman went to journalism school, y’all, and I have a professional degree. We’re so proud; and finally
- Tony La Russa announces his retirement;
Surprisingly falling short of the top ten: Miguel Caberea’s crazy DUI arrest, the actual deaths — as opposed to near-deaths — of fans in Texas and Colorado and the fact that not a single one of my “Best Shape of His Life” stories made the cut. Shocking, really.
Well, there’s always next year!
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)