Dec 21, 2011, 11:31 AM EDT
Gleeman and I spend a lot of time chatting during the day, and one of the few recurring topics of conversation that doesn’t involve Coen Brothers movies is the correlation between meaningful stories and stories that get a lot of traffic.
While we don’t set out to write about things that will make people click like crazy — we’re not compensated based on that, just so you know — over the past couple of years we’ve gotten pretty good at predicting what will play big and what won’t.
Sex obviously sells. Death, violence and absurd or obnoxious human behavior too. We’re a baseball blog so we can’t go all TMZ on you, but boy do you all seem to like it when baseball and sensationalism come together. Which is fine. We cover it all, so we’d write about that stuff and the straight baseball stuff anyway. It’s just interesting to see what plays.
And here’s what played in 2011. At least in terms of page views. No judgments here. And RIP Hideki Irabu:
- Hideki Irabu suicide;
- Mike Flanagan suicide. Sensing a pattern yet?;
- This random Power Rankings post. I have no idea why. I blame the Phillies truthers;
- Idiot who almost fell out of the stands during the Home Run Derby;
- The beer and fried chicken thing;
- Charlie Sheen bailing Lenny Dykstra out of jail.
- The Rangers drafting Jonathan Taylor, who is paralyzed;
- Whether the Cardinals were going to postpone Game 6 of the World Series. So: more weather for 2012, just so you know;
- Cameron Diaz “hurt and betrayed” by Alex Rodriguez. Gleeman went to journalism school, y’all, and I have a professional degree. We’re so proud; and finally
- Tony La Russa announces his retirement;
Surprisingly falling short of the top ten: Miguel Caberea’s crazy DUI arrest, the actual deaths — as opposed to near-deaths — of fans in Texas and Colorado and the fact that not a single one of my “Best Shape of His Life” stories made the cut. Shocking, really.
Well, there’s always next year!
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 32
- Andrew McCutchen departs game versus Cardinals after aggravating injured left rib cage 3
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 12
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 14
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- Shin-Soo Choo to undergo season-ending bone spur surgery on elbow 13
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (142)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)