Dec 21, 2011, 11:31 AM EDT
Gleeman and I spend a lot of time chatting during the day, and one of the few recurring topics of conversation that doesn’t involve Coen Brothers movies is the correlation between meaningful stories and stories that get a lot of traffic.
While we don’t set out to write about things that will make people click like crazy — we’re not compensated based on that, just so you know — over the past couple of years we’ve gotten pretty good at predicting what will play big and what won’t.
Sex obviously sells. Death, violence and absurd or obnoxious human behavior too. We’re a baseball blog so we can’t go all TMZ on you, but boy do you all seem to like it when baseball and sensationalism come together. Which is fine. We cover it all, so we’d write about that stuff and the straight baseball stuff anyway. It’s just interesting to see what plays.
And here’s what played in 2011. At least in terms of page views. No judgments here. And RIP Hideki Irabu:
- Hideki Irabu suicide;
- Mike Flanagan suicide. Sensing a pattern yet?;
- This random Power Rankings post. I have no idea why. I blame the Phillies truthers;
- Idiot who almost fell out of the stands during the Home Run Derby;
- The beer and fried chicken thing;
- Charlie Sheen bailing Lenny Dykstra out of jail.
- The Rangers drafting Jonathan Taylor, who is paralyzed;
- Whether the Cardinals were going to postpone Game 6 of the World Series. So: more weather for 2012, just so you know;
- Cameron Diaz “hurt and betrayed” by Alex Rodriguez. Gleeman went to journalism school, y’all, and I have a professional degree. We’re so proud; and finally
- Tony La Russa announces his retirement;
Surprisingly falling short of the top ten: Miguel Caberea’s crazy DUI arrest, the actual deaths — as opposed to near-deaths — of fans in Texas and Colorado and the fact that not a single one of my “Best Shape of His Life” stories made the cut. Shocking, really.
Well, there’s always next year!
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 28
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 45
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 48
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (101)