Dec 21, 2011, 10:33 PM EDT
Marquis posted an underwhelming 4.43 ERA and 1.49 WHIP in 23 starts between the Nationals and Diamondbacks in 2011, fanning only 76 batters and walking 43 across 132 innings before fracturing his right fibula on a comebacker in mid-August. He had a wretched 6.60 ERA in 58 2/3 innings in 2010.
Marquis should find better luck at Minnesota’s Target Field, an extreme pitcher’s park, but the 33-year-old is doubtful to suddenly become a dominant starter in his 13th MLB season. No word yet on the financial terms, nor the length of the deal that is being discussed.
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 8
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 61
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 29
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 96
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 18
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)