Dec 21, 2011, 8:15 AM EST
As we know, the Wilpons are selling off minority stakes in the New York Mets. They want multiple investors to give them $20 million a pop for a non-controlling interest.
Now, anyone familiar with close corporations knows that having that kind of stake in such a business — especially a family business — is an exercise in powerlessness. You have no say in just about anything. The draw of such an investment is that you’ll either (a) get some good cash flow out of it; or (b) your stake will appreciate nicely. And neither of those two things seem likely any time soon with the Mets.
So why would you invest? Well, Richard Sandomir of the New York Times tells us today. Among your ownership perks:
… the $20 million would include one free trip with the team during the regular season (the Mets would pick the city); one free weekend’s stay at spring training; and a lot of potential lunch dates — with broadcasters and former players. A luncheon with the manager and general manager? Off-season only, the document says. Merchandise? Discounts, but not giveaways.
So if a midweek trip to Houston, an all-expenses paid stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Port St. Lucie, an in-season lunch with Wally Backman, an offseason lunch with Terry Collins and deep discounts on an R.A. Dickey bobblehead all sound enticing to you, by all means, give Fred Wilpon that extra $20 million you have laying around.
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 60
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 22
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)