Dec 22, 2011, 9:16 PM EDT
From Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago comes word that the Cubs have signed free agent right-hander Manny Corpas to a one-year major league contract.
No word yet on the dollar amount.
Corpas missed all of the 2011 season after undergoing Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery last September. Once viewed as the “closer of the future” in Colorado, he owns a cool 3.93 career ERA and registered a 47/22 K/BB ratio over 62 1/3 innings in 2010 before going under the knife.
The Cubs will hope that he can get back on track next season. He’s likely to serve as a middle reliever.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)