Dec 22, 2011, 9:16 PM EDT
From Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago comes word that the Cubs have signed free agent right-hander Manny Corpas to a one-year major league contract.
No word yet on the dollar amount.
Corpas missed all of the 2011 season after undergoing Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery last September. Once viewed as the “closer of the future” in Colorado, he owns a cool 3.93 career ERA and registered a 47/22 K/BB ratio over 62 1/3 innings in 2010 before going under the knife.
The Cubs will hope that he can get back on track next season. He’s likely to serve as a middle reliever.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 16
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)