Dec 22, 2011, 9:16 PM EDT
From Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago comes word that the Cubs have signed free agent right-hander Manny Corpas to a one-year major league contract.
No word yet on the dollar amount.
Corpas missed all of the 2011 season after undergoing Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery last September. Once viewed as the “closer of the future” in Colorado, he owns a cool 3.93 career ERA and registered a 47/22 K/BB ratio over 62 1/3 innings in 2010 before going under the knife.
The Cubs will hope that he can get back on track next season. He’s likely to serve as a middle reliever.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 8
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 15
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 65
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)