Marlins showing interest in free agent lefty Joe Saunders

Dec 22, 2011, 10:38 PM EDT

joe saunders ap AP

ESPN’s Buster Olney reports that the Marlins have expressed recent interest left-hander Joe Saunders.

Saunders was non-tendered by the Diamondbacks earlier this month despite posting a respectable 3.69 ERA and 1.31 WHIP across 212 innings in 2011.

The 30-year-old veteran was set to earn around $9 million next season through salary arbitration, and the Snakes deduced that he wasn’t worth it.

If the Marlins are able to lure Saunders in, Chris Volstad could be pushed to the bullpen or moved in a trade. Miami’s other four starters are Josh Johnson, Mark Buehrle, Ricky Nolasco and Anibal Sanchez.

1. Old Gator - Dec 22, 2011 at 11:23 PM

I could see this guy as a classic Larry Beinfest scrapheap rescue, albeit of a slightly better grade going in. Anything that makes Volstad eligible for trade improves the team by subtraction. I still think the Feesh better make a move for another impact bat, though – and I don’t mean the Porcine Prince either – preferably at third base, so that the defensive disaster which would be Hanley may be avoided. The Gnats are becoming a farce to be reckoned with, and the additions they made at the weenter meetings aren’t going to be enough to deeslodge the Feelies and that murderer’s row of a rotation.

2. Gonzo - Dec 23, 2011 at 2:10 AM

I thought the Marlins wanted to win?

• Gonzo - Dec 23, 2011 at 2:41 AM

Eh, I guess I should retract my statement. I have him confused with some guy that used to play for Tampa and Colorado. Can’t think of his name.

3. thejotapee - Dec 23, 2011 at 8:58 AM

He’s a good 4th or 5th starter. I guess they’ll have to wait for next years free agents class to add another front line starter.

• PanchoHerreraFanClub - Dec 23, 2011 at 9:36 AM

And he is a LHer.

• Old Gator - Dec 23, 2011 at 12:40 PM

They’ll have to wait unless they can sign Oswalt – or unless they become a little more willing to part with the thus far off-limits Tweeer, whom they seem to think is the second coming of Roberto Clemente or some such ridiculous thing.

• Old Gator - Dec 23, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Off limits tweeter.

Edit function.
        Edit function.
        EDIT FUNCTION!

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2904)