Dec 22, 2011, 10:38 PM EST
Saunders was non-tendered by the Diamondbacks earlier this month despite posting a respectable 3.69 ERA and 1.31 WHIP across 212 innings in 2011.
The 30-year-old veteran was set to earn around $9 million next season through salary arbitration, and the Snakes deduced that he wasn’t worth it.
If the Marlins are able to lure Saunders in, Chris Volstad could be pushed to the bullpen or moved in a trade. Miami’s other four starters are Josh Johnson, Mark Buehrle, Ricky Nolasco and Anibal Sanchez.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)