Dec 22, 2011, 10:38 PM EDT
Saunders was non-tendered by the Diamondbacks earlier this month despite posting a respectable 3.69 ERA and 1.31 WHIP across 212 innings in 2011.
The 30-year-old veteran was set to earn around $9 million next season through salary arbitration, and the Snakes deduced that he wasn’t worth it.
If the Marlins are able to lure Saunders in, Chris Volstad could be pushed to the bullpen or moved in a trade. Miami’s other four starters are Josh Johnson, Mark Buehrle, Ricky Nolasco and Anibal Sanchez.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)