So did anyone come close to the Rangers’ bid for Darvish, or not?

Dec 22, 2011, 9:24 AM EDT

darvish getty japan team Getty Images

Yesterday we heard that the Toronto Blue Jays came really close to the Rangers’ $51.7 million bid for Yu Darvish.  As the day wore on into night, however, multiple reports surfaced suggesting that, no, the Jays didn’t bid that high and that in fact no team came anywhere close to what the Rangers’ bid.

I’ll accept that, I suppose. But I also can’t help but wonder if it serves a team’s interest to say such a thing after the fact, even if it isn’t true.  Bid close and lose on a guy like Darvish and someone may accuse you of not having the guts to go the extra mile. Of miscalculating or something.  Put the word out there that you were nowhere near the Rangers’ bid, however, and maybe a narrative is created in which the Rangers clearly overbid and, my, aren’t we wise for not being so silly with our money.

I’m not married to that explanation. I can see that it may cut in a couple of different directions. I just think it’s always smart to be somewhat critical when multiple reports related to information we can’t possibly know from other sources comes out.  For every leak, there’s an agenda, even if it’s a small and benign one.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Dec 22, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Kinda like when the Marlins offer Pujols $275 million and he declines it to go to the Angels for less money and then the Marlins deny they made the offer?

2. canucks18 - Dec 22, 2011 at 10:29 AM

I think the market for Darvish from the rest of the GMs must have been affected by the recent Daisuke etc bids/lack of production which is understandable cause at the time DiceK was also “the best pitcher” in Japan…

3. myvickinabox14 - Dec 22, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Yu Darvish, Dice K… Who gives a shit?

• JBerardi - Dec 22, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Umm… baseball fans?

• hittfamily - Dec 22, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Scouts who can tell the difference.

• garnermusic - Dec 23, 2011 at 10:31 AM

As a Yankee fan, I have 2 words: Kei Igawa. Just sayin’

4. cshearing - Dec 22, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Plus, if you let it be known you nearly splurged $125M on a non-MLB pitcher, agents will be licking their chops while knocking on your door. Hurts future negotiations.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto