Dec 22, 2011, 12:35 PM EDT
The Braves seem pretty set on trading Jair Jurrjens. I’m OK with that. They have oodles of starting pitching coming up through the system and they’re not going to be able to keep both Jurrjens and Tommy Hanson as each of them get expensive. Trade JJ and get a shortstop or a bat or some good depth or something, right?
But they won’t trade him just anywhere. Jon Heyman says that the Braves will not trade Jair Jurrjens within the division, thereby rendering inquiries from the Marlins and Nationals moot. I get that. As a lot of people say, you don’t want your former player to come back and haunt you over and over.
Although in this case I choose to believe it’s more like the rules that apply to selling a used car to someone you’re gonna have to see a lot of. I mean, I like Jurrjens, but I have little faith that his knees aren’t going to continue to give him trouble or that his strikeout rate is going to come back to bite him and that ERA is gonna balloon up. Maybe Frank Wren doesn’t care, but I think it would be awkward to see the exec you ripped off 18 times a year.
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 5
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 32
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 63
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 114
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)