Dec 22, 2011, 9:01 AM EDT
Yesterday it was said that five teams were on Carlos Beltan’s short list. Four were named. Which means … Mystery Team.
Not sure I’m buying it. The Indians don’t have a ton of room — at least on paper — in the outfield with Choo, Sizemore and Brantley, who while not as good as Beltran, obviously, is someone the Indians believe in. Travis Hafner is the DH. You can guess that both Hafner and Sizemore will miss copious amounts of playing time with injuries, but if you’re Beltran, why do you go someplace where there is even the possibility that your presence is gonna upset some current players?
A bigger issue is the money. Rosenthal argues that, while Beltran is pricey for the Indians, the team could work him into the budget. He’s right, I think, but it seems tight. If there really are five teams bidding, it wouldn’t be hard to see the $10-12 million Beltan apparently wants to creep up a bit. And every notch higher is a little larger for the Indians than it is for, say, the Red Sox or the Cardinals.
Anything can happen. We’re told Beltran will sign this week. So I guess we just watch.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 65
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 75
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 69
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 100
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (101)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (100)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)