Dec 23, 2011, 9:43 AM EDT
A reader took issue with my “I wouldn’t vote for Jack Morris” comment in the Vinny Castilla post:
Your B.S. about Morris not deserving the hall because he gave up so many runs during his wins & that his most wins in the 80’s is an over inflated stat during a meaningless time period is ludacris. Just admit it’s because he blanked your Braves for 10 innings in the W.S.
Yes. That’s it. You got me. It feels so good to be exposed like this. I no longer have to live a lie. I no longer have to pretend that:
- Morris didn’t prevent the opposition from scoring runs at anything much greater than an average clip;
- That he didn’t “pitch to the score” (or, if he tried to, he was not particularly successful at it);
- That apart from one game in the 1991 World Series, he was nothing special as a playoff pitcher;
- That despite his “best starter of the 80s” reputation, he was rarely thought of as special by Cy Young voters, who gave him the same number of Cy Young votes over his career as Mike Hampton and Dontrelle Willis.
No, I can admit that Jack Morris was the best pitcher of his generation and most others and that my hatred of him is based on something he did 20 years ago that caused my team pain. It’s the same reason I’m against Kent Hrbek and Dan Gladden for the Hall of Fame too. My bias and hatred for any player who performs well against the Atlanta Braves is long and enduring and finally — finally! — it can be brought into the light.
God, this is such a weight off my shoulders.
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 8
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 33
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)