Dec 23, 2011, 9:43 AM EDT
A reader took issue with my “I wouldn’t vote for Jack Morris” comment in the Vinny Castilla post:
Your B.S. about Morris not deserving the hall because he gave up so many runs during his wins & that his most wins in the 80′s is an over inflated stat during a meaningless time period is ludacris. Just admit it’s because he blanked your Braves for 10 innings in the W.S.
Yes. That’s it. You got me. It feels so good to be exposed like this. I no longer have to live a lie. I no longer have to pretend that:
- Morris didn’t prevent the opposition from scoring runs at anything much greater than an average clip;
- That he didn’t “pitch to the score” (or, if he tried to, he was not particularly successful at it);
- That apart from one game in the 1991 World Series, he was nothing special as a playoff pitcher;
- That despite his “best starter of the 80s” reputation, he was rarely thought of as special by Cy Young voters, who gave him the same number of Cy Young votes over his career as Mike Hampton and Dontrelle Willis.
No, I can admit that Jack Morris was the best pitcher of his generation and most others and that my hatred of him is based on something he did 20 years ago that caused my team pain. It’s the same reason I’m against Kent Hrbek and Dan Gladden for the Hall of Fame too. My bias and hatred for any player who performs well against the Atlanta Braves is long and enduring and finally — finally! — it can be brought into the light.
God, this is such a weight off my shoulders.
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 65
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 2
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 145
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 10
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (146)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)