Dec 23, 2011, 8:47 PM EST
Marshall has primarily pitched in a set-up role over the past two seasons, but Jon Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that Reds general manager Walt Jocketty didn’t dismiss the possibility that the southpaw could take over ninth-inning duties next season.
“It’s a possibility,” Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said. “We’re still talking with (Francisco) Cordero. If we don’t sign him or acquire a closer, we have several guys who we feel can go to that role and Sean would certainly be one of them.”
The Reds declined Cordero’s $12 million option for 2012 in late-October. The Red Sox have reportedly backed off the 36-year-old right-hander due to his desire for a multi-year contract and declining strikeout rate in 2011, so he’s running out of potential destinations to close. The Reds would receive a supplemental first-round pick in the 2012 First-Year Player Draft if he signs elsewhere.
Marshall is set to become a free agent himself next offseason, but Jocketty indicated that they are going to make every effort to sign him to an extension.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)