Yorvit Torrealba hits umpire during Venezuelan Winter League game

Dec 23, 2011, 6:42 PM EDT

Texas Rangers v Oakland Athletics Getty Images

Rangers catcher Yorvit Torrealba isn’t exactly in the “Christmas spirit.”

After striking out while playing with Leones del Caracas in the Venezuelan Winter League earlier today, the veteran backstop blew off some steam by attacking home plate umpire Dario Rivero, Jr.

It’s unclear what sort of penalty he’ll pay in the VWL, but Licey manager Jose Offerman was banned for life by the Dominican Winter League two years ago for a similar incident. Then again, he had a history of violence.

Check it out for yourself below:

1. djpostl - Dec 23, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Freakin’ idiot should get a huge ban from MLB, even if it isn’t one of their officials. My guess is the MLB umps are going to give him a rough go of it for a while, now that this has gone viral.

• Old Gator - Dec 23, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Incredibly dumb thing to do. Why doesn’t he pick on someone his own size – Joe West, for example?

• damnyankee13 - Dec 26, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Joe West would cry a flood

2. henryd3rd - Dec 23, 2011 at 7:40 PM

I’m sure Bud Selig will have something to say about this; but the brotherhood of Umpires will make his life miserable in the coming season. he may wish he had just curse him out and gotten ejected and gone golfing; because this may cost him a small fortune when its all over.

3. Gonzo - Dec 23, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Usually on a swinging third strike, the ump isn’t emphatic with a call. In this case, he threw down his fist with authority. I wonder if Yorvit took exception to that.

• drewsylvania - Dec 23, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Maybe, but it doesn’t really matter. Take it up with the league or mouth off at him. Don’t punch him.

4. mvpolamalu - Dec 23, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Whenever he plays again, every questionable call will not go his way

5. drakost - Dec 23, 2011 at 9:14 PM

No excuses for that. NONE.

• humanexcrement - Dec 25, 2011 at 2:27 PM

If that asshole ump hadn’t made a bad call, he wouldn’t have got his ass beat. So whose fault is it? It’s like my wife when I come home from work and my dinner’s cold. You fucked up, don’t come crying to me when it’s time to pay for your stupid mistakes. I hope that umpire dies.

• damnyankee13 - Dec 26, 2011 at 9:54 AM

thats was a SWINGING 3rd strike beavis

6. micker716 - Dec 23, 2011 at 9:55 PM

This wasn’t some punk kid or a serial hot head. Torrealba’s been a respected pro for a while. Pretty shocking stuff.

7. crisisjunky - Dec 23, 2011 at 10:18 PM

one wonders what florid verbal machismo may have wafted out of ‘Los Azul’s’ mask
    to elicit that COBRA STRIKE!? If there had been a ball in his hand, Yorvit would have thrown out the guy at the Tapa Stand.

8. Florio_Jr. - Dec 23, 2011 at 11:35 PM

NO HABLO INGLES!

9. randygnyc - Dec 24, 2011 at 12:20 AM

What an ignorant douchebag. It’s one thing to strike another in defense of your property, family or own self. But to publically perpetuate violence on a baseball field? Who the hell does that?

10. waterwild - Dec 24, 2011 at 12:55 AM

This idiot is done in MLB! If Selig doesn’t ban him for life, then he’s toast, too!

• beagle11 - Dec 25, 2011 at 2:31 AM

Really? A life ban for a face mush in a different league. So your like Dwight from “This Boy’s life” . Do you beat your kids for not using all the mustard? He’s never getting a borderline call again and will probably be sued and fined, that should be enough.

11. kp33 - Dec 24, 2011 at 3:33 AM

Congratulations torrealba. Smart move.

12. hammyofdoom - Dec 24, 2011 at 9:03 AM

While I 100 percent agree that Yorvit was incredibly stupid to do this, should be suspended in some way and all of that jazz, when I first saw the title and saw the first 5 seconds of the video I thought the umpire was decked. Between the word “hit” and how the ump was on a knee with about 5 people looking at him, I thought Yorvit threw a haymaker his way, instead it was more of a push. Still incredibly stupid… just not as bad as I thought at first

13. baseballisboring - Dec 24, 2011 at 12:14 PM

You did something I don’t like, now I get to try to injure your body!!!!!!!!

Maybe it’s cause I’m a pretty non-aggressive person by nature, but I can hardly imagine getting worked up to the point of smacking some older guy trying to do his job upside the head.

14. cshearing - Dec 24, 2011 at 5:36 PM

No excuses for what he did at all.

That being said, that ump should be playing soccer. Looks like he smelled lawsuit.

15. humanexcrement - Dec 25, 2011 at 2:24 PM

It’s terrible what Torrealba did to that umpire. He should have shot him instead.

• damnyankee13 - Dec 26, 2011 at 9:56 AM

maybe next time whomever drops you will flush

16. yettyskills - Dec 26, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Under the new CBA Bud totally has the power to suspend him for this. And he should, actually the Rangers are the ones that should be embarrassed and be suspending him.

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3489)