A’s making another attempt at Japan’s Hisashi Iwakuma

Dec 24, 2011, 7:01 PM EST

hisashi iwakuma getty Getty Images

The A’s put up a $19 million posting fee last winter for the right to negotiate exclusively with Japanese righty Hisashi Iwakuma. The two sides failed to work out a contract, and that money was returned to Oakland after the 30-day negotiating period.

But now that Iwakuma is a free agent, Billy Beane and Co. are going to try again.

According to Joe Stiglich of the Contra Costa Times, the Athletics are “one of four teams” with interest in Iwakuma, who posted a 2.42 ERA and 90/19 K/BB ratio in 119 innings this past year for the Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles of Nippon Professional Baseball. He registered a 2.82 ERA and 153/36 K/BB ratio across 201 frames in 2010.

Iwakuma, a native of Tokyo, stands 6-foot-3 and is listed at 170 pounds. He’ll turn 31 years old in April.

1. natsattack - Dec 24, 2011 at 7:35 PM

I’m confused, is he now an FA, or gonna be posted again. If the latter, the A’s will hold a lotta leverage, since his camp does not want him to go back to Japan for a much lower salary.

• djpostl - Dec 24, 2011 at 7:46 PM

He is FA this time around.

• Ari Collins - Dec 25, 2011 at 6:52 AM

Yep, he’s FA now. Put that in the post, Drew?

Happy holidays, everyone!

2. Old Gator - Dec 25, 2011 at 5:08 AM

Beane should do what the Feesh did for Pujols and take him out for a nice dinner. There’s no Joe’s Stone Crab restaurant in Oakland, but there’s Yoshi’s – and Joe’s don’t got no jazz. True, Pujols didn’t sign with the Feesh, but I bet Beane picks up the tab and the tip. It would make all the difference in the world.

• PanchoHerreraFanClub - Dec 25, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Yoshi’s is perhaps the finest jazz club on the planet.

• Old Gator - Dec 25, 2011 at 1:22 PM

I’d have to award that honor to the 606 Club on Lots Road in London. However, I would without a doubt declare Yoshi’s the finest jazz club and sushi bar on the planet. I ibce saw Cyrus Chestnut there and he was on fire – and the thing I remember best was the negi-toro handroll.

3. Old Gator - Dec 25, 2011 at 1:22 PM

once saw…

Edit function!
    Edit function!
    EDIT FUNCTION!

• baseballisboring - Dec 25, 2011 at 5:20 PM

I’m actually curious as to why there isn’t one yet…it’s not even to be critical, I usually proofread before I post anything so I don’t make too many mistakes that need to be fixed, but it would be nice to have and everyone asks for it all the time. I need to write a letter to the president of NBC.

• Old Gator - Dec 25, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Let Michael Moore do it for ya….

4. crisisjunky - Dec 26, 2011 at 1:55 AM

With his agents having negotiated and saying no thanks to the A’s last year with the knowledge he would be a F/A this year, it will be a fair trick for Oakland to sign him.
    They may have to toss in some of the 19mills earmarked for the posting fee last year,
    or somebody will step in with actual money.
    maybe Billy can offer him a part in Moneyball II
    happy holidays all

5. crisisjunky - Dec 26, 2011 at 1:57 AM

apologies, I meant San Jose, of course.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5434)