Dec 24, 2011, 8:56 AM EDT
Footage of Yorvit Torrealba‘s attack on home plate umpire Dario Rivero, Jr. in the Venezuelan Winter League spread like wildfire last night, so naturally it didn’t take long for word to reach the Rangers.
Rangers general manager Jon Daniels told Drew Davison of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram that he is aware of the incident and plans to look into it.
“[We’re] aware, but we haven’t gotten much info yet,” Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said. “We will look into it.”
Asked whether Torrealba could face any sort of punishment for what happened in a non-MLB game, Daniels said, “Depends on circumstances.”
Torrealba joined the Rangers last November on a two-year, $6.25 million contract. The 33-year-old backstop split time behind the plate with Mike Napoli this past season, batting .273/.306/.399 with seven homers, 37 RBI and a .705 OPS over 419 plate appearances.
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 7
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 31
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 21
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)