Dec 24, 2011, 8:56 AM EDT
Footage of Yorvit Torrealba‘s attack on home plate umpire Dario Rivero, Jr. in the Venezuelan Winter League spread like wildfire last night, so naturally it didn’t take long for word to reach the Rangers.
Rangers general manager Jon Daniels told Drew Davison of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram that he is aware of the incident and plans to look into it.
“[We’re] aware, but we haven’t gotten much info yet,” Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said. “We will look into it.”
Asked whether Torrealba could face any sort of punishment for what happened in a non-MLB game, Daniels said, “Depends on circumstances.”
Torrealba joined the Rangers last November on a two-year, $6.25 million contract. The 33-year-old backstop split time behind the plate with Mike Napoli this past season, batting .273/.306/.399 with seven homers, 37 RBI and a .705 OPS over 419 plate appearances.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)