Dec 24, 2011, 8:56 AM EDT
Footage of Yorvit Torrealba‘s attack on home plate umpire Dario Rivero, Jr. in the Venezuelan Winter League spread like wildfire last night, so naturally it didn’t take long for word to reach the Rangers.
Rangers general manager Jon Daniels told Drew Davison of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram that he is aware of the incident and plans to look into it.
“[We’re] aware, but we haven’t gotten much info yet,” Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said. “We will look into it.”
Asked whether Torrealba could face any sort of punishment for what happened in a non-MLB game, Daniels said, “Depends on circumstances.”
Torrealba joined the Rangers last November on a two-year, $6.25 million contract. The 33-year-old backstop split time behind the plate with Mike Napoli this past season, batting .273/.306/.399 with seven homers, 37 RBI and a .705 OPS over 419 plate appearances.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)