Dec 24, 2011, 8:56 AM EDT
Footage of Yorvit Torrealba‘s attack on home plate umpire Dario Rivero, Jr. in the Venezuelan Winter League spread like wildfire last night, so naturally it didn’t take long for word to reach the Rangers.
Rangers general manager Jon Daniels told Drew Davison of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram that he is aware of the incident and plans to look into it.
“[We're] aware, but we haven’t gotten much info yet,” Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said. “We will look into it.”
Asked whether Torrealba could face any sort of punishment for what happened in a non-MLB game, Daniels said, “Depends on circumstances.”
Torrealba joined the Rangers last November on a two-year, $6.25 million contract. The 33-year-old backstop split time behind the plate with Mike Napoli this past season, batting .273/.306/.399 with seven homers, 37 RBI and a .705 OPS over 419 plate appearances.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 32
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 7
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)