Dec 24, 2011, 8:56 AM EDT
Footage of Yorvit Torrealba‘s attack on home plate umpire Dario Rivero, Jr. in the Venezuelan Winter League spread like wildfire last night, so naturally it didn’t take long for word to reach the Rangers.
Rangers general manager Jon Daniels told Drew Davison of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram that he is aware of the incident and plans to look into it.
“[We’re] aware, but we haven’t gotten much info yet,” Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said. “We will look into it.”
Asked whether Torrealba could face any sort of punishment for what happened in a non-MLB game, Daniels said, “Depends on circumstances.”
Torrealba joined the Rangers last November on a two-year, $6.25 million contract. The 33-year-old backstop split time behind the plate with Mike Napoli this past season, batting .273/.306/.399 with seven homers, 37 RBI and a .705 OPS over 419 plate appearances.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (84)