Report: Rays interested in Jorge Posada

Dec 24, 2011, 10:20 AM EDT

posada wide getty Getty Images

We already know Jorge Posada isn’t returning to the Yankees, but he hasn’t dismissed the possibility of continuing his career elsewhere.

With that in mind, Javier Maymi of ESPNDeportes.com hears (link in Spanish) that the division-rival Rays are interested in the 40-year-old. Maymi confirmed the information with Posada’s father, who said he has also had some discussions with the Orioles and Phillies. However, he hasn’t decided whether he will play in 2012.

The Rays are looking at Posada as a possibility for first base, designated hitter and backup catcher. Jose Lobaton or Robinson Chirinos figure to be the primary backup for the newly-signed Jose Molina, so Posada would likely only be an emergency option behind the plate.

Posada batted .235/.315/.398 with 14 home runs, 44 RBI and a .714 OPS over 387 plate appearances this past season. He did have an .814 OPS (and all of his homers) against right-handed pitching, so he could still have some value if used appropriately.

1. Old Gator - Dec 24, 2011 at 10:27 AM

You could come to the same conclusion about a cadaver. You just have to hope he doesn’t wake up before you harvest his corneas.

• hermitfool - Dec 24, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Get some, Gator. Best Hardball Talk comment ever.

• Old Gator - Dec 24, 2011 at 11:56 AM

As the calendar undergoes its final, implacable unleaving, I say, rage, rage against the dying of the light, and all that stuff.

• lovesmesomeme - Dec 24, 2011 at 9:05 PM

What an idiot, why try and top yourself?

• Old Gator - Dec 25, 2011 at 1:53 AM

Unlike some schizoids who see every subsequent thought as an expression of conflict with their previous thoughts, I don’t view my last comment as some sort of competition with my prior one.

You don’t ?

I’m not sure I believe that.

I don’t care what you believe.

I know. You never have. You’ve never cared.

That’s bullshit.

No it’s not.

Yes it is.

No it’s not….

• pjmarn6 - Dec 25, 2011 at 2:26 AM

From the sublime to the insane. I am sure there are owners/gms out there who are crazy enough to throw a few million his way.
      HAVE I HAVE MY HAND OUT TOO! YOU CAN SLAP A FEW MILLION THERE TOO!

• pjmarn6 - Dec 25, 2011 at 2:29 AM

Maybe he burned through all the millions he already got. His wife does look like she is high maintenance and if he lives in Puerto Rico, he needs a moat around his house a 20 foot wall, watch towers and plenty of security guards.

• jwbiii - Dec 26, 2011 at 12:12 AM

It’s not like living in New York, you know.

• anxovies - Dec 26, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Most of his money goes to his foundation for kids with congenital brain defects. His son was born with one.

• pjmarn6 - Dec 26, 2011 at 11:26 PM

anxovies There are no financials about the Jorge Posada Foundation on the net. No record of income or expenditures. I looked at over a hundred sites for the foundation and there are no financial records available for examination. I looked at over a hundred sites related to Jorge Posada and not one of them states that any donation was made by Jorge Posada.

Very strange. If you have any information that has been made public and is verifiable, please post the web site address.

Before any one donates money to any charity it is extremely important to check the charities financial documents submitted to the government to ascertain that at least 85% of the income is being spent on the charity.

Please supply me with the information of the web site that shows how much of the $117,500,000 salary he has donated to this charity.

Yes I have been to Puerto Rico, north and south side of the island. The south side is so dangerous that the hotel I stayed at had a tall continuous wall around the entire hotel and only one door that was protected by two private armed police. All cars had to be driven into a secured private parking lot inside the hotel complex. The conditions reminded me of Mexico only worse. And it was very expensive.

2. pisano - Dec 24, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Jorge should just fade into the sunset, his playing days are over. In boxing it’s always smarter to get out before you get beat up too badly and I think for Jorge he needs to think along those lines. He actually played one or two years too many, it’s time to say good night.

• baseballisboring - Dec 24, 2011 at 12:18 PM

True. Easy for us to say, though.

• baseballisboring - Dec 24, 2011 at 12:27 PM

I feel like if I were an MLB player, I’d be one of those guys that hangs on for wayyy too long, showing up at training camp with a colostomy bag begging for someone to take me. I mean, come on, it’s the big leagues.

• jwbiii - Dec 24, 2011 at 12:37 PM

I kind of like Greg Maddux’s take on the situation. When he was good, he said that he would play as long as some team paid him. Then he was mediocre for a couple of years and he walked away. Probably wasn’t as much fun anymore.

3. gatorays - Dec 24, 2011 at 11:01 AM

No…no…no….and may i add HELLL NO. He adds nothing.

• protius - Dec 25, 2011 at 2:27 AM

You were doing so good until you got to the lower case “i”, and it was downhill from there.

4. acdc363 - Dec 24, 2011 at 11:12 AM

He adds plenty of experience

• jwbiii - Dec 24, 2011 at 12:45 PM

A good reason for hiring him as a roving hitting instructor or a minor league coach if he wants those jobs. I kind of doubt it.

• Old Gator - Dec 24, 2011 at 1:48 PM

acdc: what you mean is, he adds veteran presence.

The Feesh had loads of that last season. They finished last.

5. humanexcrement - Dec 24, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Report: WHY???????????

6. drewsylvania - Dec 24, 2011 at 11:42 AM

He’ll have to make something close to the minimum for this to be worthwhile.

7. buddaley - Dec 24, 2011 at 5:29 PM

At a reasonable price, it may not be such a bad deal for the Rays. Hitting left handed, he had a pretty decent year in 2011: 316 PAs, 14 HRs, 33 BBs, 52 Ks, .269/.348/.466, 113 OPS+. Compare that to Johnny Damon vs. righties last year: 457 PAs, 10 HRs, 35 BBs, 69 Ks, .255/.314/.401, 92 OPS+. Yet many think he would be a good signing, although he is a liability in the field also and has virtually no experience at 1B. (Of course, Damon hit rather well vs. lefties and ran the bases well too.)

Interesting, and perhaps reason for optimism, that while his hitting against lefties collapsed, he held steady against righties from 2010-2011, actually improving slightly. It suggests he may be able to perform decently in that role again, especially if he is used primarily as a DH with occasional time at 1B.

• buddaley - Dec 26, 2011 at 2:02 PM

On the other hand, this information re: Posada was posted at DRays Bay:

Road OPS

2008: .810
      2009: .760
      2010: .694
      2011: .524

That’s a .188/.293/.319 slash line over the past 2 seasons. Take into his account his troubles vs LHP and the fact he’s mostly been a product of his home environment as he’s declined in age, and I’d rather the team not make this move that harkens back to the Devil Rays days.

The writer also points out that 11 of his HRs last year were in Yankee Stadium and 5 of them might not have been in the stands at Tropicana Field. Combining his age, home/road splits, platoon splits and terrible defense, he argues that Posada is not a worthwhile signing under any circumstances.

I am not entirely convinced, but it is a strong argument against the Rays signing him. I would like to see his lefty performance outside of Yankee Stadium.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3087)