Report: The Athletics will be granted permission to move to San Jose by February

Dec 24, 2011, 1:15 PM EDT

Oakland A's logo

Some pretty significant news to pass along on this Christmas Eve afternoon.

According to Bob Nightengale of USA Today, “all signs and top MLB sources” say that the Athletics will be granted permission by February to move to San Jose.

Of course, the A’s efforts to move have been stonewalled since 2009 so that a Bud Selig-appointed committee could study the matter. The Giants own the territorial rights to San Jose and have been reluctant to give them up until now.

While Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reported last month that Selig planned to address the issue with the Giants within two weeks, he reported last night that the meeting has yet to take place. However, Nightengale indicates that the matter may be put up to a vote among MLB owners.

The Athletics are in the midst of their latest rebuilding effort, trading Trevor Cahill and Gio Gonzalez for prospects over the past couple of weeks. The club has already purchased land in San Jose and co-owner Lew Wolff has indicated that a new ballpark could be open for business within 30-36 months once they are given approval by MLB.

1. Old Gator - Dec 24, 2011 at 1:46 PM

That’s great news for the franchise, if not the few diehard fans in Oakland itself. Best of all, the team will now be located much closer to the Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California Santa Cruz, so they can get some serious listening in while waiting to contend.

• jwbiii - Dec 24, 2011 at 3:30 PM

That’s the David Dodd Grateful Dead Archives. I went to college with Dave.

• Old Gator - Dec 24, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Well then you probably got to listen to a lot of great music. But I think you’re confusing David’s personal – and remarkable – Complete Annotated Lyics of the Grateful Dead project (http://artsites.ucsc.edu/GDead/agdl/cagdl.html) with the still in progress “official” UC archive project, curated by Nicholas Merriweather, and to which I was referring (http://library.ucsc.edu/gratefuldeadarchive/gda-home).

Jerry lives.

• Old Gator - Dec 25, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Hmmm…seems to be an angry and vocal 1910 Fruitgum Company contingent out there this weekend….

• jwbiii - Dec 25, 2011 at 2:19 PM

You are correct; I am wrong. I knew:
        (a) The UCSC library has a Dead archive.
        (b) Dave has a Dead archive
        (c) Dave is living in the Bay area and was going to library school 15 years ago
        (d) Dave was a bartender at nudist resort 20 years ago
        I incorrectly assumed facts (a) through (c) were related. (D) is unrelated but amusing.

I return to my traditional Christmas task of making Cincinnati chili. We do the feast and gift exchange thing on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day is for making a big pot of chili as an alternative to leftover ham. And for washing the kitchen gew gaws I was gifted with (Egg poaching thingies? Gee thanks! I’m really ok with poaching eggs in coffee mugs, but Gee thanks!).

• jwbiii - Dec 25, 2011 at 3:05 PM

I just thought about this. If you are a bartender at a nudist resort, do you get to wear an apron? Not for modesty reasons, but in the bar I tendered, the glass cleaning sink was slightly below waist level. That would seem to be potentially unpleasant for both workers and drinkers.

• Old Gator - Dec 25, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Well, I can’t recall ever hearing that he bartended at a nudist resort, but hey whatever works. I’m sure that he came out of that saner than he would have if he had bartended at the smoothie shop at Esalen Institute, at any rate.

I suspect that his library school choice was the fork in his road of life that led him to become librarian at the San Rafael public library, which no doubt was either where his Deadheadedness set in or, at the very least, his incipient Deadheadedness took root and proliferated – what with the band HQ just around the corner and all, and Jerry, Bob and co. being big readers. I actually crossed paths with him once while my old friend Alan was working with the Dead’s video producer, Len Dellamico, on some unrelated project and we were hanging in Mill Valley waiting for the semiannual Monarch butterfly migration to settle in Muir Woods for a few days (which, believe me, is something you really want to see before you die – millions of Monarchs covering every rock, tree, fence rail, bench, you name it, slowly opening and closing their wings to ventilate themselves and the entire forest looks like it’s strobing).

FYI the Dead Caucus (scholars who study the Dead, musicologically and as a social phenomenon) meets every year at the Southwestern Popular Culture Conference in Albuquerque during the second weekend of February. It’s a regular even for me – great lectures, archival listening, previously unreleased interviews, you name it, and a lot of stupid, ultimately esoteric Dead jokes.

I repeat: Jerry lives.

• Old Gator - Dec 25, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Duh-h-h, I completely blew past the Cincinnati chili comment. My bad, my bad. I love that stuff. I was in Cincinnati last weekend for the annual Over the Rhine Christmas homecoming show at the Taft Theater and at their annual concert/party at St. Elizabeth’s in Norwood the next afternoon. That’s about as close to redemption as the year can get. I do this annually, and each time I go to Cincinnati for the show I check out another couple of chili parlors. So far, done the main ones: Skyline, Gold Star, Blue Ash – and this past weekend I hit Camp Washington Chili for the first time. Wow, that’s great stuff. Went back on Saturday morning to order a bowl of chili, cheese and onions to pour over a couple of over-easy eggs for breakfast. Ohboy.

On the way home, the friendly TSA man asked to open my suitcase due to the two big tubes of Glier’s Goetta that I suppose looked like gelignite cylinders. He also found the packets of Gold Star and Skyline mix – and asked if I was taking them back to some expatriates in Florida. When I explained my mission he kindly directed me to try Dixie Chili in Newport the next time I was in town. So that’s on my list for next time, but man, that Camp Washington recipe will be hard to beat.

2. btwicey - Dec 24, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Well done MLB

3. mikmar22 - Dec 24, 2011 at 2:42 PM

This great news come on San Jose COME out and support your A’s in a BASEBALL STADIUM

4. giant4life - Dec 24, 2011 at 3:06 PM

How much did MLB give the Giants? Fielder or Ishakawa money?

• jkcalhoun - Dec 24, 2011 at 8:11 PM

However much it was/is, clearly it’s going straight into the Giants’ bottomless rainy day fund.

• bigdicktater - Dec 25, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Well, if they got Fielder money they ought to go out and sign Fielder.
      Their offense doesn’t look promising to me.

5. humanexcrement - Dec 24, 2011 at 9:47 PM

The A’s are the new Expos. Nobody cares, get them out of there. I feel bad for a team that has been so well managed with so little fans to back them up. It’s always been a nomadic franchise anyway—time for a new start. Anyone who’s ever been to the oakland coliseum will tell you what a shitpit it is–I’d put it up against Shea for worst stadium ever.

But I was somewhat confused by one thing–are they granted permission to MOVE by february, our will they soon be granted permission to move before february. Probably the former–i think SJ will almost surely have to build a new stadium.

6. APBA Guy - Dec 25, 2011 at 12:39 AM

This is very positive, if true, and quite a Christmas present. But the devil is in the details, and we await those with caution.

• Old Gator - Dec 25, 2011 at 5:04 AM

I await them with coffee.

• Gamera the Brave - Dec 25, 2011 at 9:40 AM

The details, or the devil?
        The devil might appreciate coffee more.
        Never mind – you said “them” – still groggy and waking up on the Left Coast.
        Prepping the house for my soon-to-be-wilding children…
        Giants fan that I am, I admit to having A’s WS pennants on my walls from the Tenace/Jackson/Rudi years…

Gator, always enjoy your posts, have a great Diwalchristmakwaanzkah.

• APBA Guy - Dec 25, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Your Blue Bottle awaits, steaming hot on this 42 degree morning.

I am amazed at the Giants fans “thumbs downing” all these positive A’s news reports. Well, maybe I’m not. As was pointed out here in HBT a few weeks ago, the Bay Area needs two vital franchises.

Anyway, I’m hopeful this report is true, and that the promise of the first genuinely “high tech” stadium will be realized in San Jose. The “Cisco” Stadium would be even cooler if it were the “Apple/Facebook” Stadium, but they have to step up the way Cisco has and help with the design.

But Happy Holidays OG, and to everyone else in HBT-Land. Enjoy the day.

• Old Gator - Dec 25, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Same to you guys. APBA, be out your way in May – the usual American Literature Association conference. I’ll be giving a paper insisting that Godzilla (Gojira) was actually a Kurosawa film he attributed to Inoshiro Honda because he also had The Seven Samurai coming out that year and didn’t want to saturate his market.

Blue Bottle? Ahhhhh. This weekend I’m making due with my last bag of Galapagos Island shade-grown-in-volcanic-soil blend in the mornings and my La Tazera Over the Rhine blend in the afternoons and evenings. Both work well for their assigned purposes, especially for chasing a mixed wild mushroom omelet with gruyere and fresh diced parsley and/or fresh-baked Mexican sweetcorn muffins with green chiles and sharp cheddar. I’d love to get more in tune with the season but the local specialty butcher ran out of seal meat and muktuk the day before I got there.

7. rohlo - Dec 25, 2011 at 4:00 AM

your 2014 san jose athletics!!!!

• rohlo - Dec 25, 2011 at 1:03 PM

raiders will be next out of oakland moving back to Los Angeles.. in LA on cbs2 jim reported the raiders informed LA about 2 months ago they would be interested in playing in the new football stadium…its rumored rams will be moving back after their lease expires in st louis in few years.

8. royhobbs39 - Dec 25, 2011 at 12:23 PM

I don’t remember this part in Moneyball?

Moneyball 2: The San Jose Boogaloo

9. JBerardi - Dec 25, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Hooray, more corporate welfare!

• Old Gator - Dec 25, 2011 at 1:40 PM

You used to be so amused
      At Napoleon in rags and the language that he used
      Go to him now, he calls you, you can’t refuse
      When you got nothing, you got nothing to lose
      You’re invisible now, you got no secrets to conceal….

I’m sorry. The Socialist within me just can’t bear the site of billionaires in rags – even though I know that just because you feed them, they won’t go away.

10. jimeejohnson - Dec 26, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Old Gator: you are like Jerry and the Dead; one thinks they’ve delivered their ultimate performance and then they went ahead and topped it! You are the thinking man’s fan, unlike so many dim witted haters. Check out all the Youtube video-audio files with great performances from Jerry and the Dead, as well as countless others. Have a very happy new year!

11. crisisjunky - Dec 26, 2011 at 9:39 PM

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com (Bill Graham’s accumulated properties, I think,) is also a blast

• hcf95688 - Dec 27, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Wolfgang’s Vault is awesome! Found video of several Day on the Greens that I attended!

12. giant4life - Dec 27, 2011 at 1:51 PM

The move will not save the A’s….they should go to Sacramento…..But the reported $200 Million…..could help the Giants…… but the bat they need may already be gone.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3223)