Dec 25, 2011, 4:21 PM EDT
But maybe that was an incorrect assumption.
According to Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald, the Red Sox have “kept the door open for further talks” with the 39-year-old. And Varitek’s agent, Scott Boras, seems to be pushing for a reunion:
“If there’s anyone that could best serve the No. 2 (catcher) role, it’s Jason,” Boras told the Herald. “Jason’s winning percentage that he provides when he catches and his impact on the pitching staff dramatically impact the Red Sox. … Jason Varitek wants to play for the Boston Red Sox.”
Varitek batted just .221/.300/.423 across 250 plate appearances this past season for Boston, but the Red Sox had a had a .656 winning percentage when he was catching and a .490 mark when he was not.
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot