Dec 25, 2011, 4:21 PM EDT
But maybe that was an incorrect assumption.
According to Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald, the Red Sox have “kept the door open for further talks” with the 39-year-old. And Varitek’s agent, Scott Boras, seems to be pushing for a reunion:
“If there’s anyone that could best serve the No. 2 (catcher) role, it’s Jason,” Boras told the Herald. “Jason’s winning percentage that he provides when he catches and his impact on the pitching staff dramatically impact the Red Sox. … Jason Varitek wants to play for the Boston Red Sox.”
Varitek batted just .221/.300/.423 across 250 plate appearances this past season for Boston, but the Red Sox had a had a .656 winning percentage when he was catching and a .490 mark when he was not.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (146)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)